Will my breasts drop and look teardrop shape and after swelling will they be bigger? Why is there such a big gap? (photo)

I liked my chest before now I look like I have pecs. I wanted a natural D or DD. I feel like I have rectangular loaves of bread on my chest. I was told teardrop and round were just marketing spin and the rounds will look teardrop inside anyway. They are so high, will they drop? I've not been told to wear a band at all?No bra even.Nothing to push them down they will stay high and fake looking right? Why is there such a huge gap between them? 300cc round saline below muscle. How do I fix this?

The change is immediate. The should expect the skin to soften and the implant to settle at about three months after surgery.  

breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used.

Best of luck

S/p BA

Your pictures suggest you are early on in your postop course. Over the next several weeks, as swelling subsides, the implants should drop and appear more and more natural. Be sure to follow up with your operating surgeon so that they may monitor your progress.

Concerns over cleavage and implant riding high

Thank you for your question and photos.

From the photos it is clear that you are early in the recovery period as implants still need to drop.

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio (tear-drop shape), and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45) in both sides, so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Also note that any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry or address cleavage gaps.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. You are early in the recovery process, so there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop providing the natural looks while also slightly minimizing the cleavage gap.

Patience is key!

With regards to the cleavage gap, it can better be addressed using the sub-glandular approach, but this was probably not used because you are very thin and you would have risked implant visibility and palpability making them look fake.

If you remain unsatisfied with the cleavage gap after 3-6 months, then you can have this fixed by your surgeon. It may require a new incision in the inframammary fold, but essentially, the surgeon will have to conservatively release some muscle attachments close to the sternum (breast bone) to expand the pocket near the midline, while closing the implant pocket on the outer side of the breast (near the armpit) to enhance cleavage. Your surgeon may also use a wider implant with more volume to provide the same projection.

For now, please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation result

Although you didn't mention in your post, my suspicion is that you are still early in the recovery process.  It will take at least 3 months for the tissues to soften and the implant to drop into place (see time lapse photo of one of my patients at the end of the attached video).  Only then can you make a faithful assessment of size, contour, and symmetry.  For now, do your best to remain patient and abide by the postoperative instructions of your surgeon.  Of course it is always reasonable to convey your concerns ro your particular surgeon.  Good luck!

Your breasts will look much better after swelling resolves

Although you haven't told us how long it has been since your surgery, I can tell by both your appearance as well as the dressings on your armpits that you most likely had your implants placed via the transaxillary route within the past week.  If this is in fact the case, you are very, very early in the course, and things will get much better once tissues relax, swelling resolves, and the implants find their "new home."  This may take a few months or so to complete, so you will need to be patient.  Your surgeon will have more information about the specifics on how the procedure was done, including how the muscle was released, whether or not you have smooth or textured saline implants, and the like, and these things can have some bearing on the final result expected.  He or she will also have recommendations on things like massage, activity, and bra or strap wear as well, and you should adhere to his or her recommendations closely.

The one thing I take exception to is the notion that shaped versus round implants is "marketing spin."  I can assure you that after placing hundreds of shaped implants and thousands of round ones, it's not marketing spin if the shaped implants are selected and placed properly.  I concede that not every lady needs shaped implants, and as in your case, with a modest sized round implant you will very likely get a beautiful result, but for the right patients, shaped implants provide an excellent option and produce reliably excellent results in the right hands.  In any regard, best of luck to you, and I hope you enjoy a beautiful result once things get a little farther along the healing curve.

Gap between breasts

Judging by your before photo you had the same gap between your breasts then and the surgeon must centre any implant on your existing breast which in many women is located more on the slop of their chest leaving quite a large gap - if you bring the implants in more you leave the nipple and you breast out to the side which would not look right. You are very slim so everything shows more and the challenge is to make things look natural - generally that means a more conservative implant choice 240-300  and under the muscle and this is the course your surgeon has followed. Things look more unnatural right now because you have a lot of spasm in your pect muscles which are swelling the upper part of your breast and making your implants look higher - I think things will settle nicely .

I do not think going to a D or DD and being natural at the same time would have been possible due to how slim you are . - sometimes there is a tradeoff between size and naturalness