Breast augmentation, leaving a bra off for a few hours?

Hi I got a breast augmentation done a week and a half ago. Went from A to B cup, nothing spectacular. I've been wearing a sports bra 24/7. But I wanted to go out for a few hours with some friends and the sports bra looks hideous underneath everything. Would it be OK to leave it off for a few hours? Thanks

Wearing a bra after a breast augment

Leaving your bra off for a few hours will not harm your post op results. I think we will one day find that bras are not all that important for breast augment results. However, you should follow your PS recommendations.

Post breast augmentation

Thank you for your answer. The best person to advice you is your chosen surgeon as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.  I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none). 

Post Op Bra

Your Plastic Surgeon would be the best person to advise you about bra support as each have their own preferred protocols.

All the best 

You should ask your surgeon

You should really ask your surgeon about this. Some surgeons insist on wearing support 24/7 after surgery, while others insist on wearing nothing at all. Your surgeon will let you know what to do based on your specific situation. If you do wear a bra, though, I recommend you avoid anything with underwire. Underwire shortly after surgery can be detrimental to your recovery, especially if you’ve had an inframammary incision.

Breast augmentation

It is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has slightly different aftercare protocols. At this stage, leaving your bra off for a couple hours as long as it is comfortable for you, should be okay just refrain from wearing anything with underwear in it for at least 6 weeks. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Leaving bra off

You must confirm with your surgeon but at this stage leaving the bra off for a few hours one evening as long as you are careful will make no difference to your result

Post-Op Healing,, Sports Bra After Augmentation

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. If you find that the sports bra is uncomfortable it is best to contact your surgeon directly to question the length of time it is worth leaving the bra off and times where it is safe not to wear the bra.

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

After a breast augmentation how long do you have to be in a sports bra?

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon has their own post op protocols so you should check with your surgeon. This being said, in my practice for a patient who undergoes a straight forward breast augmentation, I will let them out of their post operative bra the very next day. You are not going to do anything to hurt your breasts or your implants by not wearing a sports bra or any bra for that matter. It comes down to comfort. Most women like the feeling of support.  The reason I tell patients to wear their post op bra or a sports bra for 2 weeks is because the implants are still settling and changing. If you go and get measured for new bras too early in your recovery, they may not be comfortable after a couple of weeks when things settle. Follow your surgeon's advice, but there would be no contraindication to take it off for a few hours. Good luck.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

No Bra After Breast Augmentation?

If the breast augmentation increases your body confidence and you no longer lament about your breast volume, then your transformation is indeed, "spectacular." Don't sell you self short! As for the bra, it's important to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions as s/he knows precisely what technique/moves s/he made during your operation. I bet you could rock a fitted, long-sleeve mock or true turtleneck that shows off your new silhouette without compromising your result! Take advantage of the fall weather and have fun with your friends.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician