Does stomach sleeping help reduce capsular contracture?

Of course I'm going to listen to my surgeon who said he rarely ever has ladies who sleep on their stomach develop capsular contracture - he's board certified, very qualified, and been practicing 30 years. That said, I'm interested to know if other doctors agree or disagree about stomach sleeping helping to reduce the occurrence of capsular contracture and if it causes implant displacement. I am 3 weeks post op, but am choosing to wait to stomach sleep for a few more weeks.

Sleeping on Front

There is reason to believe that trauma to the breast pocket causing bleeding may contribute to the risk of scar formation or direct pressure can cause implant displacement. Sleeping on your front will not necessarily cause damage but many Plastic Surgeon's will advise against it for at least a few weeks in order to reduce risks. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about what they recommend for you.

All the best 

Stomach sleeping

Every surgeon will have different recommendations on sleeping positions and bra usage following breast augmentation. There is no evidence that sleeping on your stomach will decrease the likelihood of capsular contracture which is a relatively rare complication to begin with. Most surgeons would advocate sleeping on your back for four to six weeks and bra usage during the same period. This would be my recommendation as well but talk with you plastic surgeon regarding his or her recommendations. Thanks for the question and good luck.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Stomach

I recommend my patients to continue to sleep on their back for  12 weeks. If they sleep on their side after 12 weeks, to please wear a bra at night. This will support your breasts and maintain your implants centered on your nipples. Use your best judgment on what you think is best for you, ask your surgeon if he has had any other complications from patients sleeping on their stomach, like implants moving towards the armpit, as I have seen in my experience. Hope this helps.

Stomach sleeping

Most surgeons recommend back or side sleeping in a support bra for the first 4-6 weeks and avoiding stomach sleeping which will not help avoid a capsule contracture which is actually a fairly rare problem in the first 5 years

Stomach Sleeping and Capsular Contracture

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

I know that you are planning on listening to the instructions of your surgeon in regards to this topic, and it is best to follow those instructions with the most detail since they know the most about your specific case. If you find yourself concerned at all about healing at any point it will be a good idea to visit your surgeon right away to ensure whether the healing process is moving all well. Good luck!

Stomach sleep and capsular contracture

Thanks for your question.

There is no scientific evidence that stomach sleep reduce risk of capsular contracture.

I do not advice this especially for the first month as increase swelling and can cause implant displacement.

Regards

Mr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Good question.

I agree with your plan to wait 4 weeks or so before doing so. Stomach sleeping is a bit like massage. We think it keeps the pocket wider. There is no clear proof that it helps, but knowing what we know, it can't hurt. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon