Why did one breast implant drop before the other one?

Had a ba on Sept 17 and the left side of my breast drop and it's soft but the right side is firm and a Lil soft but it's higher then the other one. I'm sacred don't know what to do

Implants setting

Each breast will settle at a different rate.  Be patient, it can take 4-6 months for them to completely settle.  

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice. The use of specific garments/bands etc will vary from one practice to another.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

In cases where implants do not settle sufficiently or significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery (for example, capsulotomy surgery for an implant that is sitting too high) should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Post operative breast implants

It can be very difficult to tell in the early post op period if a difference between sides is a problem or perhaps spasm of a muscle distorting the pocket.  The most important thing is not to panic!  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he/she knows exactly what was done in your operation and what to expect.  Good luck!

Drop & Fluff

thank you for your question. The drop and fluff process will take between 2-6 months. It is not uncommon for the breasts to settle at slightly different rates. I recommend that you discuss changes and concerns with your Plastic Surgeon as they know your situation the best.

Take care 

Implant asymmetry after breast augmentation

There are a variety of reasons for which one implant may drop and settle faster than the contralateral implant. The rate of descent is dependent upon the size of the pocket that was dissected, the size of the breast implant selected, the tightness or laxity of the overlying soft tissues and the position of the implant above or below the chest muscle. It is very common for one implant to settle faster than the other. You are very early in your postoperative course and this should not be alarming at this point in time. Follow up with your plastic surgeon regarding your concerns. He or she may recommend patience, specific postsurgical garments or bands, massage and less commonly, revisional surgery. I hope this helps and good luck in your recovery.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implant Settling

Thank you for your question.  Breast implants will not settle at the same time.  It can take several weeks or months for the implants to settle into their final position.  This is expected following a breast augmentation.  Be sure to keep your follow up with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast asymmetry

Mild asymmetry at this very early juncture is quite normal.  So, be patient and keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon.
At this stage, you are still early in the healing process.  The final result for a breast augmentation or Lift is never really judged until several months from the procedure.  Typically, I will wait 6 months before I assess the results.  Of course, it can be difficult to be patient while awaiting a result for such a long time, especially when you are excited.  But, keep in mind that living human tissues are different than sculpting with plastic or sewing with cloth.  Those substances are fixed and don't change much with time.  Human tissues, on the other hand, stretch, spread, settle, and change as they go through the different stages of healing.  This process takes time and as it proceeds, your result will change until the healing is complete.
This is why plastic surgeons will always advise patience for the first few months after these procedures.  In the meantime, keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and he/she can assure you that things are proceeding in the right direction.
I hope this info helps!
Best of Luck, 
Dr. Subbio
Philadelphia/Newtown Square
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Only one week after surgery is too early to worry about this

It takes many months for the implants to get to their final shape.  Often one side swells more than the other and one side takes longer to "drop."  In fact this is more common than them doing it at exactly the same rate.  At this point there is nothing for you to do except sit back and wait as there is no speeding things up.  If one side is dramatically different than the other or you are not seeing continued improvement it is always best to show and discuss with your surgeon.  You should be seeing him or her for follow up at this point anyway so please voice your concerns and make sure all looks normal.  Best of luck!