Skin tear after Rhinplasty. Caring for wound. (photo)

I had revision open rhinoplasty 10 days ago. During surgery my PS tore my skin. He said there was lots of scar tissue & my skin was thin. Is this common? He told me to put neosporin on it twice a day and not to cover it. Will scar badly? The skin stitched back down is lighter in color. When it drys out it is more similar in color to the rest of my skin. What can do to minimize scarring? Should I keep it moist and uncovered? Worried the skin will dye. I am taking cephalexin to prevent infection.

Skin tear after rhinoplasty

With any type of revision procedure a surgeon can encounter scar.  To help minimize the appearance of your scar it is important to practice good wound care and keep the area moist with antibiotic ointment.  Be sure to diligently follow the wound care recommendations of your surgeon to optimize your healing process. It is too early to asses the final outcome of your scar; however there are various treatments (lasers, chemical peel, scar fels) that may help improve the final outcome of your scar.  Good luck.

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Yes- the immediate priority is good wound and incision care to allow for the area to heal; I am sure that your rhinoplasty surgeon will see you routinely.. usually an ointment is used on the wound itself during heraling... afterwards, once the scar heals one may reassess ..

Skin Tear After Rhinoplasty

Although rear, such a complication requires diligent wound care first. Looking at your photo, the upper part is of greatest concern given the possibility of scar contraction. Follow your surgeons advice and care recommendations. Commonly, well-times treatments with lasers and/or steroids may have a place. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin complication after rhinoplasty

I'm sorry to hear about your complication. While rare, scarring and need for wound care is still a recognized complication of any reconstructive procedure. When this does happen, the toughest thing to go through is the waiting process that is required before making a decision on whether or not anything needs to be done. Follow your surgeon's recommendations and allow the overlying skin to heal. This will take time, but in more cases than not, the body does an amazing job of healing itself. 

Good luck!

Dr. E

Waleed Ezzat, MD FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Tear After Rhinoplasty

I would certainly follow your Surgeon's advice in terms of wound care and for purposes of reassuarance.  When an event like this happens in Rhinoplasty, nobody truly knows how it is going to heal.  The scar may be acceptable and it may require some form of revision.  However, that decision is likely to be 6-12 months down the road.  

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon