Should I go back to my original surgeon for my revision rhinoplasty?

I had a nose job a little over a year ago and I'm not satisfied with the results. My nose looks better than it was originally but I don't think it's that symmetrical on both sides (I know we all have facial asymmetry's but this is pretty obvious) and there's other little things that bother me that I wanna fix. When I had my consultation I feel like I was not really sure what I wanted my nose to look like so I can't entirely blame the surgeon. do you recommend going back to the same surgeon?

Revision Rhinoplasty

Dear curiouskid, If you have confidence that your surgeon can address the specific concerns that you have with your nose and your surgeon is confident that he/she can attain the desired result for you then you should feel comfortable returning to your surgeon. Personally, I find digital imaging very helpful during consultation so the patient and the surgeon are on the same page regarding the proposed results and the desired result. This will often negate the situation you are in. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Revision rhinoplasty: should you go back to original surgeon

Curiouskid12345

If you had a positive experience and you trust your original surgeon, I suggest that you have your original surgeon evaluate the changes that you desire in your nose.  The original surgeon has first hand knowledge of details of what was addressed during surgery and will be able to give you a closer insight into outlining what changes are necessary to meet your desired goals.  If you have any reservations, or do not have confidence your original surgeons expertise, then I suggest you seek a second surgeons opinion.  

Best of luck!

Julie Edween, DO

Revision rhinoplasty is harder than a primary rhinoplasty, so is very important to make sure your surgeon has lots of experience with the procedure. It's also important that you have confidence in your surgeon who can address the specific issues that you're interested in changing.

Hello curiouskid12345 - Thanks for your question. If you have a good relationship with your surgeon, I always recommend that you speak with your original surgeon about revision. If you do not have a good relationship or the trust in your surgeon is gone, then seek revisional assistance elsewhere. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Same surgeon for the revision? Depends on how well you researched him in the first place.

Your question is so important, and so commonly asked, that I made a tiny little essay to address it. Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my post, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_All_Treatments.html

About half-way down that page is a section entitled "More plain talk: should you let your primary surgeon perform your revision?" Read that section, and I bet it will help a lot.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty: going back to your original surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance. Revision refers to operating on a nose that has had surgery previously. This increases the complexity due to the changed anatomy and scar.

I would recommend returning to the original surgeon to any patient for any procedure, even if you don't want them to perform the surgery. They have all of your medical records, operative reports, and helpful information for the revision surgeon. They may be able to perform the revision or refer you to someone they trust.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

What surgeon should do my revision rhinoplasty

For multiple and independent reason you should express your concerns with your primary surgeon and listen to the solutions they offer. First, is because they are more intermittently aware  of the anatomy of your nose and the surgical changes they made to correct the original contour.  Second, a revision rhinoplasty performed by the primary surgeon is frequently less expensive and may only involve charges for the facility and not a surgical fee.  If for some reason your primary surgeon has not been understanding of your concerns or you have lost confidence in that surgeon then it is reasonable to seek a outside consultation.  If the second doctor is too anxious to proceed with surgery  and does not pursue information from the primary surgeon I would encouraging you to get a third consultation.  

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon