I think I'm suffering from hyperhidrosis. What do I do? Can it be cured?

I've been diagnosed for Anxiety, panic attacks and social nervousness

Hyperhidrosis Treatment(s)

Thank you for your question about hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating.  I'm sorry you are suffering from Anxiety with Panic Attacks & Social Nervousness.

First and foremost, it is going to be important for you to get appropriately treated for any existing Anxiety Disorder that you may have.  Controlling anxiety just might make the sweating go away.

Next, if excessive sweating persists, then hyperhidrosis treatment options include:
  • Topical medications and/o antiperspirants to mask the symptoms
  • Botox Cosmetic which lasts for months and needs repeated (injections)
  • INFINI which uses radiofrequency to reduce sweat gland density
  • MiraDry which uses microwaves to reduce sweat gland density
  • Ultherapy which uses ultrasound to reduce sweat gland density
  • ETS surgery, Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy Surgery

I hope this information gives you a basis to further research and learn more.

To determine what might best suit your needs, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have hyperhidrosis treatment for excessive sweating.

Best Wishes & Good Luck!

Hyperhydrosis treatments

Good morning!

Have you found anything that helps your excess sweating since your initial post? If not, I recommend looking into miraDry for sweating in the armpits. We have had success treating a wide range of patients who struggle with this complaint. miraDry is a nice option, since it is permanent, unlike some other therapies which must be repeated on a continuing basis. miraDry has immediate results and has relatively short down-time. You can expect bruising, swelling and mild-moderate skin discomfort/soreness for the first few days after the procedure. Our patients have been very thankful for this technology, which has helped them with a lifelong problem.  

Botox for Hyperhidrosis

That is a great question.  I have had great success treating many patients who suffer from hyperhidrosis of the axilla (under arms), the hands, or the soles of the feet with Botox.  Many patients find the axilla to be nearly a painless procedure, however the pain does seem to increase for the hands, and increase further for the feet.  The results will last for about a year and will be covered by some insurance companies.

Jodie Reinertson, MD
Seattle Physician

Hyperhidrosis treatment

You didn't mention where the problem is. If in the underarm, Botox, Dysport, Miradry, and Infini can help. The later 2 will give permanent relief. On the hands and feet, only the first 2 can be done.

Steven F. Weiner, MD