Botox or more permanent options? (photos)

I'm 30 yr old woman who has had two babies and years of sleep deprivation! I have very deep forehead wrinkles that don't go away at rest. I plan to have two more children so I have thought about Botox but I know that it only lasts 3-4 months so I'm wondering if something more permanent may be better for me. I'm open to recommendations! Thanks!

Botox for the forehead

Thank you for your question millerbright. Botox is a purified protein that can treat certain wrinkles on the face such as the horizontal lines seen on the forehead when we raise our eyebrows. Botox will relax the muscles so that the wrinkles are less noticeable when we contract the muscles. If deep wrinkles are apparent at rest, Botox may not make them disappear completely, but it should soften them. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for three to four months as you mentioned and with repeated treatments the wrinkles usually improve further.
Other things that can improve wrinkles include using a good skin care regimen and other treatments. Look for ingredients such as retinoids, hydroxy acids (salicylic or glycolic acid), vitamins C and E, and hyaluronic acid. Skin tightening treatments such as Ultherapy and radiofrequency devices can also help with wrinkles.
Botox has not been studied in women who are pregnant or breast feeding so the safety is not know in these cases. I recommend women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breast feeding to wait until they are done breast feeding before receiving Botox treatments.
I recommend consulting with a doctor for specific recommendations for you. Good luck!

Encino Physician

BOTOX Is Still Best

Thanks for your question. BOTOX is still considered the go-to treatment for forehead lines such as yours, and despite its temporary results, it's still likely to give you the results you want. A surgical forehead lift may be a bit premature at this point, but it'll take a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to know for sure. In the meantime, I recommend trying BOTOX to see how it works for you. You may decide to forgo the consultation altogether.

Suzanne Bruce, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox most effective solution

Botox will help to temporarily relax the muscles thus allowing the skin on the surface to smooth out.  With continued treatments your skin will stay smooth.  Your muscles will always move and crease the skin so there is not a permanent solution.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox/Dysport/Xeomin

Botox may not be a permanent fix but it will relax the muscles, soften forehead lines, and it also is an excellent preventative method.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Botox For Forehead Wrinkles Is Probably Your Best Option Although Not a Permanent One

While a brow Lift would be a more permanent option, if your primary issues are the lines across your forehead when you raise your eyebrows, Botox would probably be the best option. It should be done in a way to minimize your ability to develop those deep lines, but still enable you to raise your eyebrows a little bit. This will keep you from getting increased heaviness to the upper eyelids, and more importantly, will allow you to let your children know when you are upset with them without having to raise your voice. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent solution for forehead sagging and wrinkles.

. If your hairline is high the browlift should be done at the hairline which we developed called the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift which will not raise your hairline orleave a noticeable scar. Hair will grow thru the hairline and not behind it. This will greatly improve your look and decrease the excess skin while weakening the muscle. 

Botox

Unfortunately, Botox, Dysport, Xeomin are the only three products available on the market as of right now for muscle relaxation.  Staying consistent with these products will help minimize the resting lines.  Hope this helps. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Botox for forehead lines

Thanks you for asking this question.  Botox, or another neuromodulater like Dysport or Xeomin should give you an excellent result.  While, as you correctly point out, the benefits will only last an average of three to four months; with repeated injections, especially if they are done before the muscles resume functioning fully, the benefit frequently lasts longer.  Occasionally after several years of such injections, the muscles can become permanently weaker and the forehead can become smoother.  While there are surgical options available most plastic surgeons have found that even though it requires repeated treatments, Botox is a better alternative.  Make sure that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to help insure the best results. 

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Botox or more permanent options?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Unfortunately there aren't more permanent options and we are instead limited to the 3-4 months of activity that Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin afford.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to have the best treatment option recommended.  

Botox or More Permanent Options For Brow

I recommend starting off with Botox. See how you like the result. Even though it is temporary, the change it effects may give you enough satisfaction that it's worth it to you to continue with Botox versus a more "permanent" procedure. The more permanent procedure would be a brow lift, and you're a bit young for that, plus it has the possibility of raising your hairline. In the end, even a brow lift is not "permanent" as your skin will continue to age and lose elasticity with time. Although no studies have been done, to be safe, lay off of the Botox 3-4 before you want to start trying to conceive, during pregnancy, and during breastfeeding (if you choose to breastfeed)! Best of luck with Botox and babies!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician