Can botox be used to reduce the volume of upper cheeks to achieve a leaner and attractive face?

I'm a 20year old lady ,a pear-shape and i weigh 140lbs.I do not like how my face looks like.i have a very round face & my upper cheeks(malar pad region)has significant volume,which in my opinion translates to both fat and muscle. Should i get botox to slim down my upper cheeks to achieve a leaner and a more attractive face??

Botox to Reduce Cheek Volume?

Botox will not reduce cheek volume. It can be used in the masseter muscles to slim a square jawline that is caused by muscle hypertrophy. Weight loss, buccal fat removal, and face contouring with make-up may be viable alternatives of differing cost and invasiveness to achieve a leaner face.

Sacramento Physician

Botox to shape the face

Thank you for your question that_chick. One of the desirable features in the face is a heart shaped appearance with an apparent youthful apple of the cheek and a slim lower face which comes together at the chin. Enhancing the upper outer cheeks with a filler like Voluma can restore the youthful apple of the cheek which we naturally loose over time. Botox can be used in the masseter muscle (used for biting) in the lower face to slim down the lower face, creating a less boxy appearance and a more heart shaped appearance. I recommend consulting with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox and fillers for a leaner face

A combination of Botox and facial filler injections can be used to "sculpt" the face. Depending on a patient's anatomy and personal preference, a variety of changes can be made to enhance ones' appearance. An office consultation with a board certified specialist is required to determine appropriate options. Opinions will vary among physicians as there isn't a "best" treatment.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.
If you have fuller cheeks/features it may not address that. But contouring and impacting your jawline - that is possible with Botox and injectables/fillers as whole. So your goal of a thinner face can be accomplished. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Botox in Masseter Muscle

Botox can absolutely be used in the masseter muscle to make a leaner face and produce facial slimming.  Approximately 25 units are needed to be injected in this muscle with a beautiful result.  Best, Dr. Green

Slimming the face with Botox and fillers

Actually, what helps slim the face profile is filler injection into the cheeks and Botox injection into the masseters. This widens the upper face face and narrows the lower face giving a more oval shaped appearance to the face. I would see an experienced injector for a in-person consultation. 

Botox does not reduce volume of the cheeks

Although Botox can be used to slim the jawline, it cannot be used to reduce the volume of the cheeks.  Please consult a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if you would benefit from other treatments.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Can Botox be used in the cheeks to reduce their volume?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately fullness of the cheeks can not be remedied with Botox and will likely only need to a worse appearance as it will paralyze the muscles responsible for elevating your lips during animation.  Botox can be placed into the muscles along the back of the jaw - masseters - to reduce their bulk which can slim the face so you may wish to ask your injector about this possibility.  Hope this helps.

Slimming face and botox

Botox is not traditionally injected into the cheeks to reduce the cheek fullness. It may cause problems with your smile. It has been used to reduce the size of the masseter muscle along the jawline.

Will Botox to cheeks help?

Thank you for sharing your question. Botox injections into the cheeks (which can occur as a mistake) gives a flat, immobile and unpleasant appearance to the cheeks. See an experienced facial surgeon in person for detailed evaluation and proper guidance to treat your problems.
Good luck,