Can Chin Implants make a short face taller?

My face is really short with no real Definition. I think i will do chin surgery to make my face more attractive. Can the Implantats make my face look taller and less small than it is now?

Chin Implants

Most chin implants will not make the chin longer. This requires a special chin implant known as a vertically lengthening chin implant which is available in some standard sizes as well as can be custom made.

Chin implant to add vertical height to the face

Chin implants can add vertical height to the face by a few millimeters.  The implants and the mandible are 3-dimensional structures, therefore the augmentation occurs mostly in the projection, additional width, and some vertical height.  In our practice, we have been using Implantech Silastic chin implants over 25 years with excellent success rate.  For more information,  diagrams of the implants themselves, and many before and after results of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Chin implants add vertical length too

Since your jaw does point slightly downward, implants do add vertical height. The effect is slight, and is more pronounced the larger the implant, but real. Ultimately implants are mostly chosen to add projection forward. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Following the aesthetic principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Conversely, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.