Am I a good candidate for chin and jaw implants. How much is average cost for this surgery in Canada? (photos)

I believe I have a week chin that appears to not be exactly that even. I am getting braces and was wondering if the surgery and X-rays for the procedure can still be done with braces. So how much is average for both the chin and jaw augmention surgery and am I a candidate ? Will this surgery get rid of the crease I have under my lip ? And will it stretch out the extra skin so i don't appear to have a double chin or would I need Lipo as well ?

Cost of a chin implant ?

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Am I a good candidate for chin and jaw implants.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

For augmentation of the jaw line and mandibular angles, I prefer using a dermal filler to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line over jaw implants that have too many unwanted side effects IMHO. 

Hope this helps.

Chin and jaw implants

It is best to have a face to face consult but from you photos, you will benefit from both procedures. And also, yes the chin implant will exaggerate the lower lip fold but could be minimal if appropriate implant is used. Alternative is chin advancement which is more involved with a more prolonged healing. Best

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Jawline

The key is to discuss if you need 'jaw surgery' as well with the orthodontics. If you do, then all can be done at the same time. If not, you can have the 'masking' approach' which makes the jaw appear more defined and contoured. The procedure can  be done at any time if jaw surgery/lower jaw advancement; is not planned. As to the labiomental fold below the lip, it will be managed as long as a chin implant is not used - genioplasty plus contouring is necessary. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

From the limited photos, it appears that there is a significant week and recessive chin profile, for which a chin implant can improve.  Start with a chin implant first before undergoing the jaw implants.  Chin Implants can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information about  chin implants, our current price list, and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below