Can a cap be worn immediately after procedure to hide the scalp while returning to work? Also how long does hair need to be?

Hat after Hair Transplant

If you would like to wear a hat after Neograft we recommend a loose, non-fitted, clean cap. We recommend wearing whatever you can find that will have the least amount of contact with the donor and graft sites. Typically prior to Neograft, we recommend a clean crew cut. We ask patients to cut their hair as short as they're comfortable with prior to the procedure, and if any additional trimming needs to be done during the procedure we take care of that for them. Good luck!

Pre- and Post-op Neograft

In our practice, we ask that patients do not wear a hat for two days after grafting, and once they do, to wear a loose fitting hat.  The transplanted follicles are grafts, and they are delicate, and thus, we advocate for gentle handling of your scalp the first few days even with washing. 

As for the length of your hair, I would recommend talking with your physician pre-operatively.  A buzz cut may be fine before your procedure, but make sure that there is enough length to allow for follicular extraction (ie. a longer guard on the buzz cut clippers). 

Christopher S. Zarella, MD

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. It is important that you follow the recovery instructions provided by your surgeon. You can wear a cap but you need to take care to not use force when showering, and be careful not to disrupt the grafts in any way with hands or objects while they're still in the healing process. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you can wear a cap as long as there is air space between it and the grafts.  Usually, the hair is cut to the appropriate length just prior to surgery by the staff.   If you shave it, it will be almost impossible to extract follicles, so I just recommend you wait and have the staff and physician determine.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Cap

Yes, you can wear a cap from day one. There is no requirement for 'length' of hair. Just don't rub or scrape the recipient sites (transplanted sites. You will notice some oozing form the donor sites, but that should improve and disappear within just a few days.

Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a hat after hair transplant

A loose-fitting baseball-style hat is fine to wear after transplant as long as it is fairly loose and not rubbing on the recipient sites. You should also be careful taking the hat on and off the head in order to protect the grafts. We actually give our patients hats to help protect the grafts and allow patients to feel more comfortable out in public during the initial healing phase.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hats after hair transplantation

Common sense must prevail.  Meaning, yes, a hat can be worn after HT within a week but one must be cautious.  The hat should not rest against the recipient site since doing so can disrupt the hair follicles.  

I generally ask all patients to bring in their hat so I can test it myself on their head.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hat after transplant

I recommend not wearing a hat for 7-10 days but if you must be sure that it is loose fitting and does not rub where the hair has been transplanted. Also very important to follow your hair transplant doctors post-op instructions. If they say to wait longer then 10 days then wait as long as they say. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hat after transplant

Thank you for your question. You should not wear a hat after your transplant for 2 weeks in my practice. At that time it is safe to put a hat on. Try to be patient. Best of luck

Hat after hair transplant

The most important consideration is to avoid disruption of the grafts.  The first 48 to 72 hours are most critical but we make sure the patient knows to be careful with the graft site for up to two weeks.  We typically apply a pressure dressing to the donor site which stays in place for 48 hours and patient's leave the office in a loose fitting surgeons hat.  We recommend patients wear a loose fitting hat when outside for more than 30 min during those first two weeks, but again making sure that the grafts are not contacted by the hat or affected.  In your case, I would agree to a hat immediately after the procedure as long as it was loose fitting and not in contact with the grafts. 

Joseph L. Hill Jr., MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon