Can a cap be worn immediately after procedure to hide the scalp while returning to work? Also how long does hair need to be?

Thank you for your question. I allow my patients wear a loose baseball cap two days after the procedure. You just have to be careful not to disturb the grafts by rubbing or too much sweating. We do not cut hair in the recipient area, but do cut it very short at the donor site. These answers may change according to your surgeon's post-op instructions.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.   Some doctors may agree that wearing a hat the day of surgery would be acceptable.  Some may not.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft postop

The hair can be very short at the time of the procedure. We have to cut the donor area short for extraction anyway. We do not allow a cap/hat until day #5 and even then to be worn loosely and no brim rubbing the grafts.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Neograft and Hats

Thanks for your question!  In general, I like to wait two weeks before allowing patients to wearing any hats that would touch the transplanted area.  That being said, depending on the area that was transplanted, sometimes a cap/hat can be worn after 48 hours - again, as long as it is not touching the grafts.  Be sure to ask your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Post Neograft Instructions

Hi and thank you for your question!

Always best to refer to your physician for questions and concerns regarding your Neograft procedure. We tell our patients to wait at least 2 weeks following the procedure before wearing hats.  Our patients do no shave or cut their hair before the procedure. In our practice, I meet with the patient, as well as the neograft technicians to discuss the plan and how the hair can be shaved so that it is hardly noticeable.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Wearing a cap after transplant surgery

Hi and thanks for your questions. It is not advisable for patients to wear a cap Immediately following transplant surgery for several reasons. It may interfere with the healing process and cause transplanted grafts to be dislodged when putting a cap on or off immediately following the procedure.  I would discuss your specific concerns with your hair transplant team as each practice has specific post operative instructions to obtain the best result. Good luck. 

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS