Can a cap be worn immediately after procedure to hide the scalp while returning to work? Also how long does hair need to be?

Wearing Hats After Hair Transplant

While some doctors say it is ok, we only allow our patients to wear loose fitting hats only the first 2 weeks after surgery. After 2 weeks, you may return to wearing ball caps . You want to allow the follicles to breath and not be displaced by tight fitting objects. Great question!

Boise Anesthesiologist

Can a baseball cap be work immediately after a hair transplant procedure?

Dear samt1989,

Thank you for submitting this question. During a hair transplant procedure the donor may be touched by the hat, but the grafts are typically above where the rim of a hat will sit. As such, I allow my patients to wear a hat beginning on the 2nd day after surgery, and I actually show them in person how to put the baseball cap on. It’s important to have a cap that will hold its shape. If you hold the brim of a baseball cap horizontally and it maintains its form, that’s the hat you want. If you have a golf hat or some other floppy hat, one that sags to the floor when you hold the brim in front of you horizontally, that one will sit on the grafts and so is less ideal. If it’s a hat that you wear, you’ll want to loosen it up a bit as your head will be a bit swollen. Wearing a hat obviously helps to cover up the grafts and the redness/scabbing and allows patients to re-enter society much more quickly than without the use of a hat. Scarves for women can also be used, but I typically advise patients wait at least 5 days before putting on a scarf.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards,

Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS

Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Do not wear a hat after FUE

Looking through the literature and other answers, you will find some allow a hat and some don't.  I am opposed to allowing my patients to wear a hat after the surgery for multiple reasons.  The most important reason is that even if the hat is loose and not directly touching the surgical area, an object or another person could easily bump the hat (especially if it has a brim), and quickly dislocate all the follicles you spent so much money having placed.  Also, some patients have forgotten they are even wearing the hat and accidentally move it without thinking.  At the 2 week post op mark, you can wear a loose hat.  I don't recommend a hat prior to this point.  Thanks for the great question. 

Stephen Giordano, DO
Huntersville Physician

Hats can be worn after a hair transplant

I allow my patient to wear a loose fitting hat after the procedure.  Returning to work takes about 5-7 days due to the swelling, but many of my patients just work from home.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Hat after Hair Transplant

If you would like to wear a hat after Neograft we recommend a loose, non-fitted, clean cap. We recommend wearing whatever you can find that will have the least amount of contact with the donor and graft sites. Typically prior to Neograft, we recommend a clean crew cut. We ask patients to cut their hair as short as they're comfortable with prior to the procedure, and if any additional trimming needs to be done during the procedure we take care of that for them. Good luck!

Edward P. Miranda, MD, FACS

Pre- and Post-op Neograft

In our practice, we ask that patients do not wear a hat for two days after grafting, and once they do, to wear a loose fitting hat.  The transplanted follicles are grafts, and they are delicate, and thus, we advocate for gentle handling of your scalp the first few days even with washing. 

As for the length of your hair, I would recommend talking with your physician pre-operatively.  A buzz cut may be fine before your procedure, but make sure that there is enough length to allow for follicular extraction (ie. a longer guard on the buzz cut clippers). 

Christopher S. Zarella, MD

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. It is important that you follow the recovery instructions provided by your surgeon. You can wear a cap but you need to take care to not use force when showering, and be careful not to disrupt the grafts in any way with hands or objects while they're still in the healing process. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you can wear a cap as long as there is air space between it and the grafts.  Usually, the hair is cut to the appropriate length just prior to surgery by the staff.   If you shave it, it will be almost impossible to extract follicles, so I just recommend you wait and have the staff and physician determine.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Cap

Yes, you can wear a cap from day one. There is no requirement for 'length' of hair. Just don't rub or scrape the recipient sites (transplanted sites. You will notice some oozing form the donor sites, but that should improve and disappear within just a few days.

Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a hat after hair transplant

A loose-fitting baseball-style hat is fine to wear after transplant as long as it is fairly loose and not rubbing on the recipient sites. You should also be careful taking the hat on and off the head in order to protect the grafts. We actually give our patients hats to help protect the grafts and allow patients to feel more comfortable out in public during the initial healing phase.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon