Soreness and itching after Neograft. Is this normal?

I had NeoGraft surgery (2,000 FUE) 24 days ago and my scalp (transplant area) is still sore and tender to touch. The donor area is less tender but is still a little tender and very itchy - especially when I'm tired. Is this normal? When should I expect to feel better?

Soreness and Itching

This is fairly typical and we have seen it before. You may also have a touch of Folliculitus and may just need a prescription for Loprox. It is worth following up with your doctor to see what he thinks. Swelling and itchiness are fairly common though for the first month or so. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post procedure NeoGraft

Hi and thanks for posting your question!
The description of your symptoms post NeoGraft hair transplantation are all normal. Localized swelling , thus tenderness, occurs in area of transplantation and takes some time to subside (~8-12 weeks in some patients). Itchiness at the donor site is also normal and takes similar amount of time to resolve. Use of gentle saline spray can sooth some patient's symptoms in the transplanted area and topical vaseline over the donor area may help also. This should all subside quite soon.
Hope this was helpful

Rachel Streu, MD

Itching and Irritation Following NeoGraft

All normal. Nothing to worry about. Soothing saline spray may be used every 2-3 hours during the first 24hrs to the transplanted area to help with this symptoms. This will also prevent the formation of scabs around the healing transplanted grafts. For the donor site you can you a copper cream or just triple antibiotic which will help during the healing process. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

What you're experiencing is normal

No worries.  Everything you are describing is completely normal.  Though it may not be the same for everyone, and some may have no itchiness or soreness, remember that your scalp had 1000's of tiny holes poked in to it.  Healing is occurring and as a result you may experience tingling and itching in both donor and recipient sites.  You'll feel better and back to normal in the coming weeks.  Hang tough.
  Good luck

Grant Stevens, MD

Itching and irritation following FUE transplant

The sensations that you are describing are perfectly normal.  Although the sites are tiny, each one of those transplanted sites is technically a surgical site and undergoes the same process of inflammation and healing as any cut on the skin.  This often involves itching, irritation, and even some pain.  You can expect to see resolution of these symptoms in the next few weeks.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Common complaints immediately after Neograft treatment

These complaints are completely normal and common following the Neograft procedure.  As the individual follicular units are extracted, they form a tiny clot.  As there are several hundred to several thousand follicular units extracted (and implanted) during the treatment, all of these tiny clots can cause the scalp to feel extremely tight, similar to a "Road Rash" sensation.  An easy solution is to use sterile spray water (we particularly enjoy Avene Thermal Spring Water) to keep the areas moist and to help minimize the tight sensation.  But, take relief, this sensation will improve significatnly as the scabs begin to heal and come off.  But, DO NOT try and remove the scabs, particularly at the implantation site, as that can potentially remove the implants as well.

Soreness after neograft

Generally patients seem to complain regarding pain after neograft procedures.  This can be due to many factors however 2 reasons with pain after neograft is generally because the punch sized used with the neograft is usually larger than what most FUE surgeons use when doing FUE by a hand device.  With the neograft you also need to punch deep.  This can also lead to a little more discomfort after your procedure.  Its best to followup with your hair transplant doctor.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes this is quite normal following Neograft hair transplant surgery. We recommend applying Eucerin to the donor area for prolonged itching and the use of Benadryl if needed. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Itchy head

Mild pain or itching can develop.  It's probably normal but it's always a good idea to check in with your doctor to make sure you don't have an infection.

Tim Neavin, MD

Neograft and Soreness

Thank you for your question!  It can be normal to experience soreness in both the donor area and in the transplanted area.  However, given that you are 3 weeks out from your procedure, I would recommend following back up with your physician to rule out an infection.  Best of luck to you!