I am considering Neograft for thinning hair in the back and top. I am interesting in pricing. (Photo)

Am I too young for a NeoGraft procedure for hair loss in the crown area?

Dear kaushikr13,

Thank you for writing in with your question. You’re asking for a price for a hair restoration to your crown area. There are ethical considerations when transplanting the crown, as it’s possible to literally run out of grafts to transfer to this area of the scalp as the years go by. The cut-off is generally 35 years old: if you are 35 or older you are likely a candidate for surgery to the crown area. If you are under 35 then I would hold off on surgery. There are several non-surgical methods which may bring back your hair, and often it’s advisable to spend a year performing non-surgical therapy (eg: LLLT, PRP, finasteride, etc), as it’s certainly possible for the hair to grow back, particularly if the patient is under 35 years of age. So, if you’re 40 or older, you’re a candidate. If you’re 30 or younger, you are most certainly not a candidate. If you’re in between, then a meeting with a dedicated hair restoration surgeon is indicated to discuss your particular situation and the ethics of transplanting your crown. If your surgeon is not aware of the ethical issues surrounding the transplantation of the crown in a younger man then you have chosen the wrong surgeon. Many surgeons who have never performed a hair restoration surgery in their entire lives are acquiring a NeoGraft device and holding themselves out to the public as experts in hair restoration, as explained below.

The NeoGraft device was introduced about 6 years ago, and is simply a machine that a physician (or, most likely, a technician) uses to perform the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. It is more or less a motorized, hand-held circular punch, attached to suction. NeoGraft has done a tremendous amount of marketing, and I see many physicians who have never done a hair transplant in their careers acquire this machine, piggyback on the marketing done by NeoGraft, and start to offer this complicated, and permanent procedure to the public. In much of the country, the doctor will simply hire a technician (the going rate for a NeoGraft tech in Atlanta is $70/hour) to perform the procedure. It should be noted at this point that hair restoration technicians have the same exact medical training requirements as grass cutters: absolutely none. The physician only need sign the papers and be on the premises. No joke. No device, machine or robot can guarantee good or even acceptable results. So, whether using the NeoGraft, or the much more advanced ARTAS robotic hair restoration system, or any other device, including a 50 cent 1mm biopsy punch, it is the experience and dedication of the surgeon and his team that will determine the outcome. In terms of price, that varies greatly, and is based on many factors. A consultation with a dedicated hair restoration surgeon is indicated.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft pricing

Neograft pricing varies greatly from $4.50 to $10 per follicle transplanted. This wide variation is determined by where in the country it is done and the skill set of the technicians involved in the procedure.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Neograft hair transplants for the top of the head area

• The good news is than treating thinning areas on the top of the head is a bit easier than re-creating  the front hairline-- so it takes less time, gets great results and costs less in most practices.   Talk to a qualified NeoGraft doctor about your suitability for a procedure.  It appears that the area is quite limited in size in your pictures, so I would expect a nice outcome.  How the remaining hairs in the area do over time is a valid question, so future balding can  occur, though the grafted hair should survive for the long term. 
  • It is tough to estimate from pictures alone, but the $6-8,000 would be a standard cost. Some practices may charge much more (based on experience and reputation), and some could charge less-- strip procedures without Neograft may be less as they are faster, though long scar in back of head, and often more hairs per plug rather than individual follicles. This is not a great treatment for posterior balding. 
  • NeoGraft is pretty spectacular in its results, so find a good doctor, and if the hair loss bothers you enough, you will likely be delighted.  It is a really tremendous advance in hair loss treatment compared to older methods. 

Michael Suzman, MD

Pricing will vary

Hair Transplant can be one of the most rewarding procedures for both men and women. The procedure from start to finish is not simply a financial investment in yourself, but also an investment in time. Full cycle growth from the initial hair transplant procedure to fullness of growth takes 9 months to 1 year, so choosing a hair restoration specialist the first time around is absolutely essential, otherwise your journey to thicker and fuller hair could take more than a few years. The average amount of hair grafting needed is typically between 500 -2500 grafts (1 graft holds 1-4 hairs) and can cost anywhere from $4-$7 per graft. I would recommend setting up a consultation with a Hair Restoration Clinic to be able to determine what the cost will be in your particular case and if it is necessary for you at this point as well. I hope this helps.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft in DC

Thanks for your question. Younger patients, 35 and under, must be careful about transplanting to the crown. You must take into consideration that you will likely lose additional hair as you age. There is only so much hair which you can transplant. I would recommend stabilizing loss with Propecia first. Cost at our office runs between $5-8 depending on the number of grafts etc. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

I am considering Neograft for thinning hair in the back and top. I am interesting in pricing.

The pricing for a NeoGraft hair transplant will vary according to the price the surgeon wants to charge, the number of grafts per procedure, and the location. In some areas of the US the prices are very high and in others they are more competitive. Generally the charge is by the graft and varies from $4.50 to $10 per graft. Grafts are usually 1 mm in diameter and contain from 1 to 4 follicles, thus produce from 1 to 4 hairs.

NeoGraft transplants have proven to be very satisfying to the patient. I had it done myself, and it's one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Find some one who has been doing it for several years and can show photos of results to you. Good luck.

Cost varies by graft number

FUE grafts cost anywhere from $5-9 per graft.  Medical therapy with Propecia may be a good place to start.  I would discuss that option with a hair restoration surgeon or your primary physician.

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question, kaushikr13. Pricing varies by surgeon and by the number of grafts. I suggest you consult with a handful of board certified facial plastic surgeons in your area to get a handle on the pricing and the procedure.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The cost of surgery depends on the doctor and the clinic. Before considering surgery you may want an examination

The cost of surgery depends on the doctor and the clinic. Before considering surgery you may want an examination first.  Surgery can sometimes make your hair loss situation worse.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft for thinning hair in the back and top. I am interesting in pricing

Costs will vary dependent upon how many grafts are needed. The average cost per graft varies from $6-8 but you should receive a complete cost at your consultation.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS