Is it normal to feel depressed after Neograft surgery?

I am a female who had Neograft (2,000 FUE) surgery 10 days ago, and I think I may be depressed. I have very little energy and need a nap just about every day... I have plenty to do, but am not motivated to do much... I just feel conspicuous and unattractive and sad. All I really want to do is sleep.

Feelings of depression normal following a hair restoration procedure?

Dear C_list,Thank you for writing in with your question. The short answer is yes, this is common. Feelings of depression are normal following significant elective cosmetic surgical procedures. Having a surgery like this is emotional no matter who it is. Some people feel depressed following surgery. It is for this fact that when I used to perform face-lifts and full-face laser resurfacing I would send my female patients a bouquet of flowers on the morning following surgery.However this may also be a side-effect of one of the medications that you’re taking related to the transplant procedure. This is something your surgeon definitely will want to know about, so I suggest you meet with him or her and discuss your concerns.I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post surgical depression

Many people experience depression after cosmetic procedures and other surgeries. You have spent a substantial amount of money to look better and may even feel guilty about it. Unfortunately, it will take a while to see your results which makes matters even worse. Some of your fatigue may be from the procedure itself. I find that the less invasive our procedures have become , the less we appreciate what our body has been through. That said, be proud of what you have done to improve your confidence and self-esteem. If you truly feel depressed, don't hesitate to see a physician to seek help.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Feeling Depressed after Hair Transplant

Having an elective cosmetic procedure is a decision that involves many emotions, some of them positives and some of them not. Some patients do experience symptoms of depression after elective cosmetic procedures, but it is not related to the actual procedure. NeoGraft did not cause you this. As you continue to heal you will start to feel better and better. Stay strong! Good luck.

Moments of depression is "normal" for most people

First of all, sorry to hear that you are feeling this way...but it will pass. It is common among patients after they have just undergone a fairly large cosmetic surgery to have a period of feeling this way. It is basically a very big change in your life and overall appearance and it only makes sense that because you are now focused on it as much as you are, all kinds of thoughts and feeling will come to the surface. Hang in there and I hop you know deep down that this will be something that will be a great thing in the long run. If your depression does last for a long period of time though, I would recommend getting some professional advice from your local Doctor. I hope this helps.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I wouldn't say that it is normal, but patients can feel depressed after any cosmetic procedure. First of all, you don't see any results at 24 days post operatively. As you know, it takes about 3 months before you see any new hair growth.  Another frequent factor is that mothers are often not used to spending large sums of money on themselves. For years their concentration has been on their children. Just keep in mind that virtually every patient is thrilled with the procedure when the hair starts thickening up and that it takes about 18 months for maximum density. However, you will probably be happy with it at 6 to 9 months or so. Get out of bed and get busy. You had a great procedure.

Post Surgical Depression

I'm sorry to hear about your depression. It is very normal to feel this way after surgery or procedures. It's called post surgical depression and usually doesn't last long in most people. I think the hardest part about feeling sad or depressed after a procedure is not understanding why you feel that way. When you know this is normal and temporary it usually helps patients get through this rough time.
Know that this feeling won't last forever and soon you should be back to normal.
NeoGraft is a great choice. Good luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

After Neograft

It is really normal to feel down, listless and even somewhat depressed after any surgery, even ones that ultimately make us feel better. Though Neograft is a relatively easy process, it can be a long procedure and your body needs to heal and recover.  Relax, recover and know that the depression will resolve.  Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Depression after plastic surgery

It is very common to feel depressed after large cosmetic surgery procedures.  Patients often go through several emotional stages:

1.  Weeks before surgery: excited about the changes in the things that have concerned you for years.

2.  Day before:  nervousness about the procedure, pain, and outcome

3. 1-3 weeks after:  concern that something is not as it should be and slight depression

4.  Visible results (24 hrs to 4 months):  suprised how good things look

Your provider and their staff should help you through this process

Feelings of Depression after Neograft

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling down after your Neograft procedure.  Just take comfort in knowing that this is completely normal.  Studies have shown that within the first several weeks of cosmetic procedures, feelings like this are normal and transient.  Please discuss your feelings and concerns with your physician.  Best of luck to you!  Hang in there!

Yes this is a very normal postoperative emotional response to elective surgery including hair transplant surgery. Make sure you check in with your doctor's office to discuss your feelings and concerns, but remember that these feelings are generally very short term. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS