When am I able to play physical sports after gyno surgery? (Photo)

Hello I'm a 16 year old male who has a case of gyno and I'm a three sport athlete.(football,indoor track,lacrosse) And I was wondering how long after the surgery can I return to play the sports I love. Football starts in a week. I heard that there is some pain but I want to know just how sever the pain is. I can take some pain but will it be to the point that I won't be able to play football because of the pain? Thank you for taking the time to read this question,

Playing Sports After Gynecomastia Surgery

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. 

Recovery from Gynecomastia surgery

I usually permit my patients o return to exercise after two weeks. I probably wouldn't want you to participate in contact sports though for at least three weeks.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Gynecomastia

Saw the pictures. This is not a simple case and you going to be discouraged by the answer. It's going to be a lot longer than you might think. I do a lot of this type of surgery and I used to tell people a month and for something like football it's probably more like several months. The issue is the skin has to heal back to the chest wall and as its forming scar tissue doing that, if you are too active and move the skin around it can tear the scar tissue as its healing and cause bleeding even months later. Sorry to be such a downer but that has been my experience. The final decision will be between you and your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

When am I able to play physical sports after gyno surgery?

Thank you for the question and picture. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. Generally speaking, returning to contact sports may be delayed for one to two months, assuming that you are doing well. One week will not enough time to return to contact sports.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant/demonstrable experience helping patients achieve the types of you will be pleased with.  Then, as difficult as this may be given how active you are, schedule the surgery such that you will have time for adequate recovery.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. For many of our patients, this time tends to be between high school and college.  Best wishes.

Sports after male breast reduction

It would be a tremendous mistake to attempt to rush back too soon from male breast reduction. It may take at least a month before you can start training for a physical sport, and months before you can start playing again.

The first step is to identify a qualified surgeon to perform the procedure. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options. Once you find the surgeon that meets your needs, then follow the directions as your surgeon would be able to understand your case and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS