What kind of surgery would I need to fix my puffy nipple/gynecomastia? (Photo)

I have had insecurities about my chest since I was about twelve. I would like to be able to actually be proud of my chest and not give up on exercising since it seems to not affect the way my chest looks anyways.

Puffy Nipple Areola Complex

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Gynecomastia Treatment

Thank you for your question and photos. From the pictures it does appear that you have gynecomastia. For the majority of men with this, the treatment that consistently gives the best results is a combination of direct removal of the tissue under the nipple and liposuction of the remainder of the chest area.  I recommend that you consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who is experienced in these cases. Best wishes.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia repair

Gynecomastia whether mild or severe require a combination of excision of the tissues below the areola and liposuction to get the tissue smoother. Compression is very important after surgery to avoid seroma and to allow the tissues to shrink. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Excision of the tissue

It really depends on the feel of the tissue.  If it is very soft and fat then liposuction alone will work but if it is hard tissue beneath the areolae then it will likely need to be removed surgically, a half circle incision around the areolae is the best approach. Good Luck!  
Mark Boschert MD

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Portland OR

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia options

I agree with my colleagues in that you probably have gland tissue behind the areola.  This can reduced, and the contour improved.  This usually requires a direct incision. Liposuction may be indicated to give a smoother contour.
hope that helps!

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery Options

Hi swimfreak,

Thanks for the post and photos. Based purely on the photos, you would likely benefit from excision of the tissue underneath the areola. This is likely causing the puffiness and is typically breast tissue, which is resistant to exercise. You may also need liposuction to contour the fatty areas around the areola for a smooth transition. I recommend that you seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Areolar Gynecomastia Reduction

What you have is a form of gynecomastia known as areolar gynecomastia. This is a collection of breast tissue that is located mainly underneath and around the nipple area. This is treated by an open excision through a lower areolar incision. It may be combined with liposuction to feather out the resection into the rest of the chest.

What kind of surgery would I need to fix my puffy nipple/gynecomastia?

Thank you for the questions and pictures. Accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.