Surgical Medical Records - I would like my medical record from my previous surgeon.

This is for the purpose of allowing another potential surgeon to view for a future surgery regarding the same surgical site. What records do I need to request for the new surgeon?

Thank you for your question.  You are entitled to have a copy of your previous surgical op note and medical records.  Simply ask your surgeon for a copy.  He will be asked to sign a release.

Thank you for your question. You can ask just for your operative note or the entire file. Ask you new surgeon what sh/he needs

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Medical records request

For the most comprehensive review, the entire medical record should be requested. Although there is a statutory fee, most physicians will not request this of the patient. 

Getting medical records from a surgeon

Thank you for asking about your medical records.

Send a letter to your surgeon, asking for a copy of your medical records for your files. 

You can ask just for your operative note or the entire file. Ask you new surgeon what sh/he needs.

Your letter should be sent so that you can provide it arrives. You will be charged for the copying costs. Once you have your records, take them to your new surgeon - and let her/him copy them and keep the originals for yourself. .

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Just call your surgeon's office.

requesting your medical records is straight-forward -- call your surgeon's office and ask them for a copy of your medical record, including your operative report, photos, and office notes.

Medical Records

Thank you for your question. Operative notes as well as pre-op photos would be useful. Your Chosen Plastic Surgeon will let you know what they need and your previous surgeon will release them to you. They may need you to submit your request in writing.

All the best

Surgical Medical Records

Thank you for your question!  I would recommend your entire record/chart  including consult notes, progress notes, and operative notes with before and after pictures to allow your new surgeon to fully evaluate you and help them come up with a plan to help you reach your goals!  Best of luck!

Dr. Tag

Surgical records

Surgical records that were from the recent past should be avialable to you. Photos, progress notes, and operative notes would be essential.

Thank you for sharing your question.  It is best to ask for a copy of your full medical record including operative notes and preoperative photographs.  This makes planning easier for the next surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Medical records

I would make sure that you sign a release of medical records from your previous surgeon then have them send over everything they have on you in your chart. The more information your new doctor has, the better. Most important things would be pre and post op photographs, operative note, post op notes, labs etc. If need be, ask your new surgeon what all records they need. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon