I've receive authorization to have my severe diastasis recti repaired. How long is recovery? (photos)

I finally found a plastic surgeon that didnt dismiss me and actually submitted my case to my hmo. Insuance will cover the repair and I will pay for the tummy tuck portion. IMy separation seems to be getting wider. From 8cm to 11cm in a matter of 6 months. Is there anything you would recommend that I do to prepare my body for my tummy tuck in January? Its extremely difficult to workout due to the pain it causes but I want to give myself the best chance at recovery.

Recovery from tummy tuck and diastasis repair

Thank you for your question. Your Diastasis is very significant. Recovery recommendations are different for each surgeon. I would recommend at least 2 weeks off from work, and an extended period of no exercise to allow the repair to get solid. I would also keep a support garment on for longer than normal.

Looking at your photos, I wonder if the Diastasis can be repaired without too much tension or "loss of domain", and therefore placement of mesh may be needed as either a second layer of repair, or as the repair.

Good luck.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Loss of domain

The degree of separation of your abdominal muscles is such that you essentially have a ventral hernia. In patients with longstanding large ventral hernia your diaphragm (the muscle between your thoracic and abdominal cavities which is involved with breathing) can become weaker as the abdominal pressures are reduced due to the hernia. Once the muscles/hernia is repaired your abdominal pressures will increase with return of your abdominal contents all back into the abdomen. This can sometimes cause a problem with breathing as the diaphragm has become weaker, especially if you already have breathing problems. Before embarking on such surgery I ask my patients to wear an abdominal binder for 6 weeks to maintain the abdominal contents inside the abdominal cavity and increase the strength of the diaphragm.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

I've receive authorization to have my severe diastasis recti repaired. How long is recovery?

From your photos, it would appear that your "diastasis" borders on a true ventral (anterior) hernia, which is most likely why your insurance company has agreed to cover the cost of repair.  I agree with Dr. Rosen.  The width of this diastasis/hernia is such that recurrence is very likely without a mesh reinforcement of the repair.  I would discuss this with your surgeon.  Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

Recovery is different for every individual as it depends on how your body heals, but, in general, my tummy tuck patients are back to their daily lives within 2-3 weeks and back to strenuous exercise within 6 weeks. I typically have them avoid lifting anything above 10lbs for 3-4 weeks. Hope this helps and best of luck with your surgery.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

Thank you for the photos and question and I would prepare for surgery by trying to lose some weight.  Recovery varies from patient to patient but expect to be walking bent over possibly with drains for two weeks and Good Luck!

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Diastasis repair.

Thanks for your questions and the photos.  Repair of diastasis and removal of excess skin is a routine part of tummy tuck surgery. In my own practice the average patient takes at least two weeks off ( sometimes more). After that I recommend no exercising for the first 3 weeks and no core exercises for at least six. Check in with your PS about the regimen his/her office recommends.

In my own practice preoperatively my patients avoid herbal supplements and other blood thinners. Being healthy with good nutrition and even a daily vitamin is important as well.   Your PS will be able to guide you here too.

Best wishes

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Severe diastasis recti

I would agree with the other surgeons. Your case appears to be a ventral hernia from severe diastasis recti.  I would wear an abdominal binder until your surgery for support. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

What can I do to prepare for the repair of my diastasis recti surgery?

If you want to prepare for your diastasis recti surgery you could look into the Tupler method of preparation. You should have an excellent improvement in your appearance with a TT and diastasis repair. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations to you for having been able to obtain authorization from your insurance for this procedure, since diastasis recti repair is not considered medically necessary with most insurance companies.  However, it seems you have severe herniation associated with your diastasis which is why insurance agreed to allow the surgery.  Judging from your photos and past experience, you probably have very thin anterior abdominal wall structures and I would definitely consider the use of synthetic mesh to provide adequate support to the repair.  Otherwise you stand the chance of the diastasis and herniation recurring.  Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Diastasis recti

That's quite a diastasis! There is a very high risk of recurrence so do whatever your doctor suggests as far as avoiding any heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks, maybe even more. You don't want to have to go through this again! Best of luck.