Botox left dent in forehead - adding a filler left dent and bump what to do? (photos)

I had my second Botox treatment in December 2015. It was 30 units for my forehead lines .in August it was 45 units . A couple of weeks after this treatment I had a pretty significant dent in the middle of my forehead. Went back to my dermatologist and she said I needed a filler. After filler dent is still there...but now there is a dent with a bump on top of it. What should I do? Should I just let botox wear off and wait for filler to go away as well? Bump is most prevalent when I lift my eyebrows.

Botox causing dent in the forehead

Thank you for your question and for the pictures.

I recommend that you wait until the Botox wears off before you seek consultation from an expert provider of Botox. 

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Dent after Botox

I would definitely wait for the Botox to wear off.  Do not be surprised if the bump accentuates.  Try massaging the filler out of the area. 

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox left dent in forehead - adding a filler left dent and bump what to do?

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to assess the area in person. Speak to an expert injector to discuss your concerns.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Dent on forehead after botox

In patients with thin skin of the forehead and fascial or musculoskeletal defects, dents can be make apparent by botox injection.  Although very rare, the botox injections can cause a decrease in the muscle tone leading to the appearance of a dent.  It most often occurs in the temple area or lateral forehead.  This should wear off in as the botox wears off.  In the meantime, have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase.  In the future, seek out an expert injector and consider smaller doses in the forehead.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello iceit4u,

Sorry to hear about your experience.  If the dent was present before Botox, then it is likely related to how the muscles relaxed with treatment.  Filling something that came up after Botox would not be my recommendation either.  I would recommend you follow up with an experienced injector to work through your problem.  You should consider waiting for the Botox to go away before getting any other treatments, but that is a question best answered by an in person consultation.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Contour changes after Botox and filler injections

It is difficult to say with certainty the cause of your concerns. I would recommend evaluation by a highly experienced injector to help you work through these concerns. Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Better to seek paid in person second opinions vs over the internet guesses! But I would allow complete metabolizing of BOTOX and filler now... 

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination, you do have a number of options for treatment.  The first would be to allow all of the products, botox and filler to completely dissolve as each works only temporarily. Then start anew with a review of your goals with your injector to avoid similar outcomes.  Correction of both dynamic and static forehead wrinkles requires experience on the behalf of the injector in order to get a natural result.  Another option would be to use additional filler/Botox to prevent contraction of your forehead muscle and smooth the area of the bump by tapering additional filler around it to camouflage it a bit more.  I would favor the former approach, especially if you are interested in seeking a second opinion.

Botox to forehead

i would have the filler dissolved if it is an HA filler and wait for the Botox to wear off. Start from scratch with your injector or find a new one if you feel that is necessary.  Best regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Dent in Forehead

I suggest waiting till the botox wears off and comparing your before and after photos to determine what would be the best treatment option.  Best, Dr. Emer.