Masseter Botox. Is 30-60 units per side an excessive amount? (Photo)

I have schedule an appointment with my injector for masseter botox injections. She said that she will be injecting anywhere from 30-60 units per side. Is that an excessive amount per side ?

Botox for massetter

The number of botox units for master injections can vary depending on each patient's facial features but in general we prefer to start with a lower dose and adjust as necessary. In general terms 30 units per side would be a more appropriate and cautious approach, but it's possible that your physician will require additional follow-up visits where a higher dosing could be considered. 

Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter Botox. Is 30-60 units per side an exessive amount?

Thank you for your question. 30- 60 units of Botox is typical for masseer injection. The dosage is gauged by palpation, so unfortunately the photos you have submitted can not provide an accurate indication of dosage. 

Thank you, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for Masseter Muscles

30-60 units a side is normal for masseter injection.  But you should only go to an expert for this treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Injection of Botox into the masseter muscles

There is a range of dosing that may be required to achieve best results in masseter muscles.  It is easiest to determine a good starting dose with actual palpation of the muscles to determine their size and the forcefulness with which the contract.  I suggest evaluation by a highly experienced injector who has treated this area extensively. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Masseter Botox. Is 30-60 units per side an excessive amount?

Botox to the Masseter is performed using anywhere from 20 - 30 units per side but I have to say that looking at your photos, you do not appear to be a candidate for that procedure IMHO.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), with excess facial fat in front and behind the cheeks as well as a weak chin.   These combine to create a round face.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  This would be combined with facial liposuction to further shape the cheeks.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

These procedures would result in a more feminine and naturally attractive face while Botox to the Master will not, again IMHO.  So, why waste the time and money getting Botox?

Hope this helps.

Botox for masseter

Botox to the masseter is a great way to cause slimming of the jawline in some patients. Typically 20 to 30 units are enough to create noticeable improvement.  With repeated injections the results get even better. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the masseter muscle

The amount depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Do you have TMJ or teeth grinding? Do you want to reduce the bulk and fullness of the muscles?

I generally start with 12 -15 units up to 25 units per side.. You can always add more. . 

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Doses Vary

For masseter muscles as little as 5 or 10 units each side can help with grinding and can help some with hypertrophy.  After you have seen the effect you can go up in your doses till you find the right dose for you body.  In my opinion it is better to start low with 5 or 10 or 15 each side and go from there.  A lot easier to go up rather than a big dose to start.

Masseter Botox or Dysport Injections

Honestly, that seems high for Botox. Maybe, she will be injecting Dysport - which is measured in different units - then, that number may seem more possible. I would double-check with your injecting physician before the procedure.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Amount of Botox for Masseter Muscles

This is an excellent question.
I always recommend starting on the low side because you can always inject more later. In the average patient, I usually start with about 15-20 units of botox per side. Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon