Is the effect of Botox in the platysma muscles cumulative?

I am not sure if "cumulative" is necessarily the correct word. I would like to know if the repeated use of botox in the platysma muscles leads (eventually) to a permanent softening of the muscles whereby the use of botox can be forestalled or even eliminated Thank you.

Botox effect over time

Thank you for your question. I have seen weakening of the muscle with repeated injections to the platysma bands. This may allow you to decrease the frequency in which you need the injections. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs this procedure for an in-person examination. Hope this helps. 

The effect of Botox will always be temporary

Thank you for your question.  Botox, as it is now designed, will always wear off in 3-4 months with the effects remaining temporary.  They are certainly looking for ways to make it last longer, but at this time, it will always wear off in a few months. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the platysmal bands of the neck

Regular interval Botox injection in the platysma can result in the increase in the time interval between session, meaning less injection sessions per year. 

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Botox in platysmal bands...

Thank you for your question. Botox in the platysmal bands can soften the contraction of muscles. In addition, Botox will most likely be required for prolonged results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox effects over time

Over time, repeated botox injections can lead to longer intervals between treatments as muscles become less engaged or "re-trained".  However, upon discontinuation of injections, the muscle activation would return. There is a preventative effect to botox injections that, by decreasing muscle movement, less elastin/ collagen degration occurs.  This effect is likely minimal in the neck since this is not a "movement" muscle.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Platysma injections

Usually there is some weakness in the muscles over time with repeated Botox injections but you cannot depend on that occurring to the point you can forego the injections and keep the benefit in the future

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox on platysma

I think that regular use as has been shown in other areas, may prolong the interval between re-injection of the area. Best of luck.

Botox in Platysma

Botox can be a very effective treatment for the platysmal bands on the neck. Like Botox in any other area, if you stop the injections completely eventually it goes back to it's pre-treatment state.

Sejal Shah, MD

Botox

The short answer is no. Botox typically has no permanent effects and must be repeated about every three months. However, there is some learned component  with regards to the way we animate which can lead to somewhat of a permanent effect. This part is really minimal.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Botox treatment of neck platysma bands

Botox can be quite effective in treating platysma bands.  The effects are not permanent, therefore the treatmen has to be repeated. 

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon