Is an institution required to provide the lot number of the vial of Botox used? They refuse to provide this, I had side effects.

Hello TFA,

I don't know of any requirement to provide a lot number of Botox (we all record it though), but I'm not sure why they wouldn't just provide it to you.  I'd be happy to provide it to my patients.  The main reason the lot is recorded is for the manufacturer as opposed to provide to patients.  If you had a true side effect (like a rash or allergic reaction) and not just an adverse reaction (such as a droopy eyelid) then the institution is supposed to report it to the manufacturer. 

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Lot numbers...

Thank you for your question. I do not believe that a lot number is any secret... If it was requested by a patient I would happily provide the information. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and lot numbers

We do track the lot number of the Botox we inject. In nearly 27 years of injecting Botox I have not had a patient requests this information but I would be glad to share it should such a request be made.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox lot number

I always record lot numbers for Botox treatments and would provide the number to a patient if requested.  The only reason I can think of for an "institution" to not give the number is that they did not use Botox, and I'm guessing there was not a physician involved.  Treatment with a qualified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon would eliminate this problem.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lot Number of Botox

I would have no problem providing this to my patients, side effects from botox are rare.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Recording Lot # for Botox and Injectable Fillers

I think they should give you the lot # and they are also responsible to report the side effect to the manufacturer per FDA.

Dr Karamanoukian

Recording Lot Number Of Botox

We typically record the lot number of Botox used in each patient's chart. I would be very suspicious of a practice that would not provide you with the lot number. They're probably using counterfeit product. You can try filing a complaint with Allergan. Maybe they can assist you. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox lot number

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concern.  It is routine for a practice to record the lot number. You do have to be careful because there are some counterfeit Botox products out there.

Botox lot number

You absolutely have a right to know the lot number of the Botox. If the doctor is refusing to provide you with the information, file a complaint with your state's medical board and department of health.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox lot numbers

Our office always records this information for each patient. I would be wary of a practice that refuses to provide you it. If you visited a licensed physician to have the injections performed you could try requesting your medical records. I hope everything works out for you.

Dr. Elizabeth Geddes

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon