For which areas on the face do you use botox besides the forehead area?

For which areas on the face do you use botox besides the forehead area? Does it help lessen or eliminate folds along the nasolabial area like other fillers?

Areas of the face where Botox can be used.

Dear DNE,
Botox can be used on several areas of the face and neck with great results.  Several of these applications are "off label usage" of the product, but can be used very effectively by the right qualified practitioner.  Botox can be used to treat forehead lines, the glabellar frown lines "11s",  and the crows feet around the eyes.  These are the common use areas for most neurotoxins.  The other areas that may benefit from these treatments are the corners of the mouth and jowl region, the heavy bands in the center of the neck as well as the upper lip wrinkles.  It is important that your doctor explain the risks and benefits of using neurotoxin in these specific areas and that they are experienced with the use of the product for those particular complaints.  

Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Botox works well for forehead lines, crow's feet, frown lines

Botox generally works very well to treat forehead lines, crow’s feet, and frown lines between the eyebrows. It can also be used in other cases to lift the brow, slim the jawline, reduce a gummy smile, and more. However, Botox is not considered the best method to treat nasolabial folds. These lines are usually best treated with either a hyaluronic acid dermal filler such as Restylane or Juvederm or a collagen building filler like Radiesse.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX Used in Many Areas of Face

Thank you for the excellent question. My patients are often surprised by the versatility of BOTOX because it is usually associated with forehead wrinkles and frown lines between the brows. BOTOX works by temporarily immobilizing specific facial muscles whose repeated movements cause lines and wrinkles to form. These "dynamic wrinkles" occur in many places. I use BOTOX to treat crow's feet around the eyes and lip lines in the mouth area and to reduce the appearance of neck bands. BOTOX combined with dermal fillers can get excellent, comprehensive results in several areas, as well.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Where Can Botox Be Used

Botox works by weakening the muscles that cause wrinkles. It can be used in many areas on the face. Based on your goals, you may want to consider a dermal filler. Injected dermal filler focus on restoring volume and rejuvenating the look of your features and is what is typically injected into nasolabial fold. 

I recommend you book a consultation with a qualified injector,to discuss your options.

Take care.

Botox has many applications in the face

Botox is commonly used to reduce wrinkling between the eyebrows, to soft and crow's feet lines, to elevate heavy eyebrows, to smooth forehead lines, to treat enlarged masseter muscles, to treat overactive muscles which may cause dimpling in the chin, to relax muscles which people down the corners of the mouth, and even to treat muscles around the nose. To determine if you are a candidate for Botox in other areas of your face other than the forehead I would suggest consultation with a physician who is an expert in facial aesthetics.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox

Botox can be used in multiple areas of the face to relax underlying muscles and lessen wrinkles. But it does not produce volume. For that, you would need a filler. I often use Botox and fillers in conjunction with each other for a non-surgical facelift. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Areas Of The Face Botox Is Injected

Botox works by temporarily weakening the muscles and will last about 3-4 months. Botox can be injected in crows feet, brow, around the eyes, mouth, lips and chin, neck to help soften the bands and “bunny lines” between the nose. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with Expertise in performing Botox and understands the underlying basic anatomy.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Botox for different face areas

Thank you for your question. Botox can be used to relax facial muscles, but also to help stop sweating.When treating facial muscles, it is commonly used in the:
1) forehead to reduce the horizontal lines
2) frown area to reduce frown lines between the Brows,
3) crows feet to reduce the smile lines,
jaw region to weaken
4) The masseter muscle, to reduce and the lower jaw facial width
5) the upper lip skin to soften the vertical lip lines
6) the lower lip depressors to raise the corners of the lips
7) the smile muscles to reduce a gummy smile
8) just under the nose to raise the nasal tip
9) the sides of the nose to soften the bunny lines 

Fillers are much better option for the nasolabial folds.

Botox treatment areas on the face

This is a good question. Botox is very safe in the upper face region.

It can also be used in the neck for neck bands, the lower face to help turn up the corners of the mouth, the lower cheek to help bulging muscles in this area, the lips for dynamic lip lines but unfortunately it isn't very useful for the Nasolabial fold.

This folder often results from loss of volume in the overlying cheek as well as in the fold.

Getting filler to help inflate the cheek 1st can often give a big improvement in the nasolabial fold as well.

Seek out a specialist in your area with experience with fillers.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox besides the forehead does it help lessen or eliminate folds along the nasolabial area like other fillers?

Hi, I have used Botox and other neurotoxins (neuromodulators like Xeomin, Dysport) for over 30 years and they act on muscles to reduce the wrinkles they create when contracting.  Botox would have no ability to add volume, like a dermal filler and as such wouldn't fill in the nasolabial folds.  Hope this helps.