Is my chin too small? (Photo)

I feel like my chin should stick out more and would like to know if I have a weak chin? I'm afraid that making any adjustments will make my cheeks look flatter and might create a masculine look.

Small chin?

Honestly, I like your chin. There is only one photo, but you have a nice balance to your face from a profile view. You a beautiful neckline as well. In order to assess your cheeks, I would need to see more photos. High, prominent cheeks in a woman, are thought to be very feminine and sought after.. Good luck!

The chin and jawline

Dear Redwoman1,

This is a little difficult question to answer with only one image.  When looking at your profile, one does not think  that your chin is excessively weak, but augmentation could be made to optimize your overall lower facial aesthetics. Another element that would be very beneficial is treatment along the jawline.  Such treatments afford a more refined and sculpted look when employed.  The most important step at this point would be evaluation  clinically by a physician who specializes in the treatment of the face.  I hope this helps you find the right answer for you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M.  Ridgway, M.D., FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my chin too small?

A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about being a candidate for a chin implant.  A very small chin implant might be of some benefit to give further projection to the chin.  Liposuction in the neck and also accomplish  improving the neck area and increasing the definition in the jawline.  For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Is my Chin Weak?

Dear redwoman1, An examination would be needed to further evaluate whether you would be a candidate for chin augmentation. Based on this single photograph I believe that you would benefit from some liposculpture of the sub-mental/cervical area to bring further definition to your jawline versus a chin implant. However at consultation imaging can be performed to show you how chin augmentation and/or sub-mental liposuction would effect your profile and concerns. See examples of  before and after photographs in the link below and the imaging process for chin augmentation in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Is My Chin Too Small?

A slight augmentation of your chin will improve definition  but proceed very carefully. The change should be subtle to avoid the strong masculine appearance that you mention and want to avoid. You need a consultation to clarify the changes before making any changes.

Chin augmentation or not

It is very hard to give you good advice. Your chin is "borderline" by means of size and slightly ptotic(saggy) based on this profile photo. Clinical evaluation would be beneficial to determine whether chin augmentation would be procedure for you.

You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial rejuvenation for detailed evaluation and discuss your goals and options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Is my chin too small?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is ptosis of the mentalis muscle which points downward.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.