Long face and weak chin with weak cheeks, what can be done? (Photos)

I have a long face. My forehead isn't very big, but the lower part of my face is much longer. I do not have a very nice profile and on days that I am a bit bloated my face appears to be much larger and longer. Due to stress, I have lost a lot of cheek fat which may add to my long face. I also have a small mouth and lips. What would be recommended to balance my face? Would I be able to have a stronger, shorter chin with just fillers? Or would it need to be invasive?

Long face weak chin

Thank you for the photos. Based on the information that you provided, I would recommend a chin implant to increase the length of your chin (the height of your chin is good). In addition, I would recommend cheek implants to provide the ideal "triangle of beauty". Fillers can provide the same cheek fullness, but they need to be replaced often. Both procedures can be performed simultaneously and can be accomplished in the office with intravenous sedation. Good luck. 

Buccal Fat Pad Removal with Chin Augmentation

Dear LucilleA, A chin augmentation would add the needed projection to your chin to help balance your profile. Fillers in the chin do not give the same appearance and are not a permanent fix. I would encourage you to have a chin augmentation with an implant placed in with a sub-mental incision and at the same time consider some liposuction in this area as well as buccal fat pad removal for a more sculpted jawline. Buccal fat pad removal will address the fullness that you see in the lower cheeks often referred to as "chipmunk cheeks." When this fat is conservatively removed the results are very rewarding in young ladies like yourself. See some examples of chin augmentation in the link below and buccal fat pad removal in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Long face and weak chin with weak cheeks, what can be done?

Hello LucilleA - Thanks for your question. As long as your teeth fit properly, you might benefit from a properly performed chin implant procedure. For an invasive procedure, it is quite easy to perform in the office under local anesthesia. Fillers can be used to refill and shape the cheeks. Filler for the chin tends to be disappointing when looking at before and afters, though I believe appropriate use of Radiesse has a better chance of creating a nice chin on profile long term than use of hyaluronic acid fillers. I recommend that you consult with a facial surgery specialist for more information. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Long face and weak chin, what can be done?

From the limited photographs, it appears that there is a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve significantly.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. In our practice, we use Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years. The implants can even be custom carved when necessary. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many  before and after examples, please see the video and the link below

Weak lower face

What you need is a chin implant that can be positioned to provide you a longer and wider chin region that will improve your proportions immensely. Please see link below for photos.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Long Face with Weak Chin and Cheeks

You do have a weak chin which can be augmented . Fillers or fat can be injected into the chin but I prefer implants because better definition can be achieved. With these these pictures I cannot comment on the length of your face or cheek definition or contour cheek definition or contour. Fillers or implants are appropriate in this area. A consultation would provide the opportunity to examine you and discuss all your alternatives. 

Long face

Your 'chin' has the increased length and a genioplasty does add projection 'and' shorten the chin height; causing an overall reduction in the anterior/front face height. Consult a Maxillofacial surgeon for an assessment.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant

Thank you for the question and at a complimentary consultation with an expert in the field that uses digital photography you will be able to see how your face might look with surgery and become informed how it might be accomplished.  So see some experts in your area that use this technique

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are very flat in the front, the chin is weak as is the posterior (back) portion of the jaw line.  These combine to create an elongated, oval shaped face.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

The back portion of your jaw line is a bit weak and can be augmented, without making your face appear masculine, using precise placement of a dermal filler (I prefer using Restylane Lyft).

Hope this helps.