How many grafts do I need? (photos)

I'm a 25 year old male living in Georgia. How many grafts would be a good starting point for my first transplant? I'm hoping to restore density on the left and right temples of my hairline. I'm scheduled to have 1,300 grafts FUE neograft in a month, but I can add to this number, if needed. Any suggestions on keeping my hair looking natural if non-transplanted hairs continue to bald? I am ok with having another transplant at some point, but this is still a concern. Thank you!!

25 year old wondering how many grafts he will need for his frontal hairline....

Dear brown163,

Thank you for submitting this question. You’re only 25 years old, and that’s quite young to be having a significant hair restoration procedure. Because you’re so young, and because you have decades of living to live, and decades of hair loss to endure it would be a mistake to have a hair restoration surgery without taking some preventive actions to prevent future hair loss. Otherwise you may end up chasing hair loss with subsequent hair restoration procedures, which is not a great situation to be in as your donor hair is definitely in limited supply. Everyone's donor area is limited in supply, as there is a finite number of follicles on your head. Significant preventive regimens would include Propecia®, platelet-rich plasma with ACell® treatments, or low-level laser therapy (LLLT).

Assuming you’re taking steps to prevent future hair loss, the question comes down to your frontal hairline. Many, many patients ask me the same question during consultations: how many grafts do I need? Well, it’s not really possible to count each and every graft once they have been transplanted, and the industry of hair restoration surgery is very aware of this fact, and is the reason most surgeons who offer hair restoration do in fact charge by the graft. Everyone knows that you have zero way of confirming the number of grafts you have received, which is exactly why they charge by the graft. Hair restoration surgery is a highly complex medical procedure. It’s a service, not a product. Using graft numbers and focusing on that is only a way to distract a patient from asking questions some practice would rather you not ask, such as “what are the surgical qualifications of the physician performing my surgery, if any?” and “how experienced is the team of technicians that will assist the surgeon and who are critical to the success of the procedure?” and “how many procedures has the surgeon performed” and “how many procedures will my surgeon be performing on my surgery day?” These are critical questions that very few patients think to ask. That being said, you will likely need roughly 2,000 grafts. The final number depends on several factors: how much hair loss you have behind the hairline, and how low you want your new hairline. This is a question that requires an exam by an experienced physician who is a dedicated hair restoration surgeon, and that requires an in-person physical examination by a hair restoration surgeon, with a dermatoscope. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards,

Ken Anderson, MD
Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts do I need? (photos)

Thank you for posting your question. To determine the number of grafts needed, we first have to figure out what the surface area it is, we are trying to cover.

Typically zone 1, which is the first 2 cm from the hairline has a surface area of 32cm between the right and left temples. From looking at your pictures, and depending on the final design, you can use around 2500.

Of course, its always better for a in-person consult to determine final count. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts you may need depends on your examination and goals (not necessarily photos).

How many grafts you may need depends on your examination and goals (not necessarily photos).  If your exam shows further hair loss, you must take that into account. If your goals is to have full thick low hair line 1300 grafts may not be enough.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts

I advise you to have a FUE operation of 1800-2000 grafts . Hair transplantation would cover all area in one session of operation that is bare and you would have a good, succesfull result . 

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Seen a doctopr and have a recommendation already

Now that you have taken the step of seeing a doctor, why ask someone from a picture when a doctor you trust is going to do your surgery. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Number of Grafts Needed

1300 grafts maybe a little light.  I think the starting point based on the photos would be 1500 grafts, with the maximum being 2000 grafts to pack the apex areas and hairline.

Michael Vories, MD
Rock Hill Hair Restoration Surgeon

The number of grafts needed

The number of grafts depends on the area of your concern and the density. If you are lowering your hair line, and want to add density in the mid scalp area I would recommend about 2000 grafts to both cover the areas and also give decent density. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon