Shave Head Before Hair Transplant
Doctor Answers 23
Shave before FUE hair transplant
Shaving of the scalp
Hair Transplant and Head Shave
The donor site where we take the grafts that are used will have to be shaved. However, where the grafts are implanted does not have to be shaved. If your hair is long enough in the back, there is an option to try to camouflage your donor site. We have had many patients that are not able to tell their hair was even shaved. It can be very discrete with the right length of hair.
You might also like...
You need to shave the donor site before a FUE Hair Transplant
Shaving head for hair transplant
Hate to say it but...YES you do have to shave it. And you WANT to.
Also, all hair transplant procedures involved bleeding making it very hard to see what you're doing. Having hair in the mix makes it even harder. Imagine trying to thread a needle but you have to look through six other strands of thread to do it. Now turn off the lights. That's what working in hair is like.
Is it necessary to shave my whole head for a FUE procedure?
- It allows me to have access to ALL the donor area (back of the head) without depleting any one concentrated area.
- In the recipient area (bald or thin areas) it gives me a clean field in which to place the extracted follicles without interference of the existing hair.
- It also allows me to pack the follicles that much tighter without any obstruction.
Shave head before hair transplant
Do you Always Have To Shave The Head Before FUE Hair Transplant
It is also possible to do partial shaving of the donor area, using your own long hair to hide shaven sections. This however, usually results in less donor available to move per operation.
Another alternative is to grow your hair very long and shave a wide donor area underneath it using the long layer of hair to hide it apron-style. This could especially useful in women who prefer FUE to strip FUT.
Does one have to shave the head for an FUE
1) long haired FUE which we limit to 400 grafts
2) keeping the hair long to cover the shaved areas
3) shave the scalp in stripes like a step ladder with hair between each rung on the ladder. This can be see easily on the web reference below and we can do up to 800 graft that way when puhsed by the patient
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.