Shave Head Before Hair Transplant

planning a FUE procedure in way to improve my hairline. Do you alsways have to shave your head before undergoing it? i hope you say no!

Shave before FUE hair transplant

It is necessary to shave the donor zone (Back of the scalp) before an FUE hair transplant procedure.  However, the rest of the head typically does not need to be shaved especially in the hairline area.  Occasionally I will recommend it to patients with longer hair as sometimes creating recipient sites and placing the grafts is more difficult in patients with longer hair.  However in the hairline I find it not necessary in the majority of cases to shave.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

You need to shave the donor site before a FUE Hair Transplant

Thank you for your question.  With the FUE method of hair transplants, you will need to shave the donor site (back of the scalp) before your procedure.  The good news is that in most cases you will not need to shave the entire head, permitted that the recipient transplant site is easily accessible.   I typically recommend that my patients get their hair cut the week before their FUE hair transplant procedure.

Yes and No

In general you need to shave the donor area.  If it is a small number of grafts (under 1000) and you have long hair you can shave a portion of hair and hide the shaved areas. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving of the scalp

Whenever possible, unless a patient feels comfortable with a shaved head, we will allow the hair to remain long.  With FUE, it is possible to remove the follicular units from narrow strips of shaved scalp, allowing us typically to obtain as many as 600 grafts.  Of course the recipient areas are not shaved not only for easier post op healing but also that these existing longer hairs allow for the appreciation of the angle and direction of hair growth.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant and Head Shave

The donor site where we take the grafts that are used will have to be shaved.  However, where the grafts are implanted does not have to be shaved.  If your hair is long enough in the back, there is an option to try to camouflage your donor site.  We have had many patients that are not able to tell their hair was even shaved.  It can be very discrete with the right length of hair.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

FUE surgery and head shave

In order to perform FUE, the donor area must be shaved. Shaving of the recipient site can also be quite helpful. This allows for more precise graft placement and prevents transection of preexisting hair follicles, especially if more density is desired at the recipient site.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shave head for FUE

You should ask your hair transplant doctor what they prefer. I usually tell my patients to shave or not shave. Do what is comfortable. Although we need the hair short around the sides and back, we can do that the morning of the procedure. Most doctors do not require you to shave the recipient area of transplant. 

Shave Head Before Hair Transplant

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Non-shaven hair transplant

Thanks to some recently developed techniques, and depending on the patient’s condition and suitability for certain techniques, the FUE procedure may be performed without shaving the hair at all.

At our clinic, we offer three different FUE methods; FUE with shaven hair in which the hair is shaven in both the donor area and recipient areas, non-shaven FUE where the hair is shaven only in the extracted area and last, but not least the long hair FUE method without shaving the hair at all.

In the long hair FUE procedure, the extraction portion of the surgery is executed with a specially designed surgical punch while the insertion or placement of the grafts is performed with the very specially designed KEEP (Koray Erdogan Embedding Placer) which I recently patented. With this method, the maximum number of units that can be transplanted in one surgery is 3000 grafts spread over 2 days of surgery.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving hair before FUE

I always prefer that the hair is shaved 2-3 days before FUE. Preferably both the donor and the recipient areas, not shaving the latter, does slow the implantation down.Best, 

Renita (Lourdhurajan) Rajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist