What to Expect 6 Months After Hair Transplant?

I had a hair transplant of 2600 grafts (FUE method) Nov/08. New hair started to grow around the 3rd month (Feb). I'm now almost at the 6th month(May) after surgery, but I'm not satisfied with the results.
While new hair has grown in the frontal area of my head, in the vertex area there has been no visible growth. The new hair in the frontal area (thick, slightly curly, and dark)does not provide good coverage and there are certain frontal areas with hardly any hair. What can I expect from this point on (6 month mark)?

6 Months After Hair Transplant

I typically see patients results almost double from the 6 month to 12 month period.  Although grafts grow at varying rates in patients, the majority of my patients have fair growth at the 6 month period.  When I do their 1 year followup and we compare photos they have almost double the results.  My advice would be to wait it out as you can be in the early stages of results.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

I am very sorry you are unhappy with your result.

Without seeing you in person it is very hard for me to have an opinion on whether your results were normal or abnormal.

As far as additional growth goes, our patients can expect growth all the way to 12 months in some cases. However, by month 9 all the hairs are typically showing, but have to play catch up with the hair that broke through from month 3 and 4. 

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can't really say

Without an exam in person or at the least a before & after photo, you really cannot judge the result of a hair transplant surgery.  Your personal views and the actual result and realistic expectations may not match.  We all want and expect to look better after a cosmetic surgery, but expectations and reality sometimes do not match.

Finally, at 6 months, it is much too early to tell the final results.  It can take up to one full year (maybe longer in rare instances) to see your results.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant growth timeline

Your new hair will go through three phases.

1. Dormant period 0-4 months:  the new hairs from the transplant will be shed.
  2. Emergent period 4-8 months:  the new hairs gradually appear but are fine.  Typically, 80% of the hairs will appear by 8 months.
  3. Maturation period 8-12 months:  the new hairs thicken.

Growth

The growth rate varies from person to person and area to area.  Front or temporal area appears to grow faster than crown area.  It isn't unusual for growth to pick up after 6 months.  It may be a year before the majority of hairs are growing.

Tim Neavin, MD

Six Months After Hair Transplant

Thank you for your question.  Without seeing you in person it is very difficult to assess how you fair against the average hair transplant patient.  What I can assure you is that patients have to wait at least one year to see final growth and that patients often see the most growth between month 9 and month 12 following a transplant procedure.  If you are concerned that you have no visible growth in specific areas, I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor to discuss your concerns and to evaluate the current stage of your post-operative growth.

Hair growth after hair transplant

After hair transplant, the hair goes through its intrinsic cycle of growth, and depending where it is in the circle then it will start to grow in gradually. Typically around three months is when the hair starts to grow in. At about six months, there is usually about fifty percent growth. Most of the hair growth happens between nine to twelve months. This is just an estimate as each persons hair growth rate is different.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Relax. You're good

You do not have a result to look at yet. Give it time to grow. 6 months is to early to make an evaluation. I've had many patient grow slow up to even 8 months then explode with new growth. It's up to your body.
Dr. Feller

Alan S. Feller, DO
Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

2600 grafts, what to expect

I searched my blog for a patient who had about 2600 graft and was more than 6 months out of the surgery. The link show such a patient in the web reference section below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair growth at six months post-procedure

Generally it is reasonable to expect about 40-60% growth by six months following hair transplant.  For many patients, complete results are not seen until 12 or more months, and you may go through stages of faster and slower re-growth.  Medical treatments that may support your existing hair and possibly promote faster re-growth should also be considered. 

Scott Boden, MD
Hartford Hair Restoration Surgeon