What to Expect 6 Months After Hair Transplant?

I had a hair transplant of 2600 grafts (FUE method) Nov/08. New hair started to grow around the 3rd month (Feb). I'm now almost at the 6th month(May) after surgery, but I'm not satisfied with the results.
While new hair has grown in the frontal area of my head, in the vertex area there has been no visible growth. The new hair in the frontal area (thick, slightly curly, and dark)does not provide good coverage and there are certain frontal areas with hardly any hair. What can I expect from this point on (6 month mark)?

6 Months After Hair Transplant

I typically see patients results almost double from the 6 month to 12 month period.  Although grafts grow at varying rates in patients, the majority of my patients have fair growth at the 6 month period.  When I do their 1 year followup and we compare photos they have almost double the results.  My advice would be to wait it out as you can be in the early stages of results.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

I am very sorry you are unhappy with your result.

Without seeing you in person it is very hard for me to have an opinion on whether your results were normal or abnormal.

As far as additional growth goes, our patients can expect growth all the way to 12 months in some cases. However, by month 9 all the hairs are typically showing, but have to play catch up with the hair that broke through from month 3 and 4. 

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant surgery result after 6 months

It is one of the most common question on the 3-6 month after your hair surgery.In my practice I inform my patient in written and oral about what they should expect during these months.It is not always possible to set an exact speed and amount of growth but the statistics show some common results.
On the 1-3 months after your hair surgery , your recovery period should have been totally finished.
For some rare cases even %30-40 growth might be visible but the majority of the cases will be having almost no change.
On the 3-6 months the majority of my patients will start to see a visible progress but it is still far from the total performance.We may say the outline is done. Some rare cases such %2 of the patients may have % 70 growth.
6-10 months many miracles may come true.The change is significant and there is a possibility to say it is ok or not.
10-12 months mostly the last growths we see and the result is done.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Relax. You're good

You do not have a result to look at yet. Give it time to grow. 6 months is to early to make an evaluation. I've had many patient grow slow up to even 8 months then explode with new growth. It's up to your body.
Dr. Feller

Alan S. Feller, DO
Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can't really say

Without an exam in person or at the least a before & after photo, you really cannot judge the result of a hair transplant surgery.  Your personal views and the actual result and realistic expectations may not match.  We all want and expect to look better after a cosmetic surgery, but expectations and reality sometimes do not match.

Finally, at 6 months, it is much too early to tell the final results.  It can take up to one full year (maybe longer in rare instances) to see your results.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Expectations at 6 months post FUE procedure.

Be patient, I typically tell patients to expect very little changes UNTIL about 6 months.  However the largest growth cycle is between 6-9 months post op.  It's difficult to say how much more growth you can expect but typically at 6 months you've only experienced about 50% of the new growth.  In addition there new hairs come in fine and gradually become thicker, like the donor hairs.  Again, be patient...

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Hair growth timing after hair transplant in Seattle

We typically see hair growth initiate after Neograft FUE transplantation within about 6 month of transplantation. This regrowth is tempered by local native hair 'shock loss' and other cyclical growth phenomenon that take several more months to normalize. We tell our patients it will take at least 12 months to see real results after their hair restoration procedure.

Hi, thank you for posting your questions. At 6 months post procedure, typically patients should see about 50% growth, the next 6 months or so, it should bring in the other 50% in density. Keep in mind, hair restoration is not an overnight growth, it takes 3 to 4 months to start seeing a difference in density, and can take up to 14 months for final results. Hope this helps. 

Hair transplant growth timeline

Your new hair will go through three phases.

1. Dormant period 0-4 months:  the new hairs from the transplant will be shed.
  2. Emergent period 4-8 months:  the new hairs gradually appear but are fine.  Typically, 80% of the hairs will appear by 8 months.
  3. Maturation period 8-12 months:  the new hairs thicken.

Growth

The growth rate varies from person to person and area to area.  Front or temporal area appears to grow faster than crown area.  It isn't unusual for growth to pick up after 6 months.  It may be a year before the majority of hairs are growing.

Tim Neavin, MD