Will Bulbous Nose After Pregnancy Return to Normal?

I have had 2 children in the past 3 years and my nose has become bigger and wider with each pregnancy. It has been now almost a year and a half after my last child was born and my nose has not yet returned to normal.

It is still wider, more bulbous and now has a bifid tip. Is this common? Will my nose ever go back to normal or will I have to resort to Rhinoplasty?

Doctor Answers 9

Post partum nasal widening

There is more fat in the nose, especially around the tip than most people realize

Weight gain can exentuate the width of the nasal tip.

If you feel your weight is a problem post partum, you may benefit as much from dieting as from spending money on a rhinoplasty. If your wieght is where you want it to be, a rhinoplast that targets only the tip fat may be right for you.

Nebo Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Need tip rhinplasty

If it has been over one year since your pregnancy then it is very unlikely that you would get any change in its size or shape.  Some changes will improve over time but from your description I would suspect that only a tip rhinoplasty could correct the problem. 

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Widening of the nose with pregnancy is not typically permanent.

If your nose doesn't look the same 1 1/2 years after pregnancy, it probably won't change. We have seen women's noses widen during pregnancy (especially with female fetuses), but this typically subsides as your weight goes back to the pre-pregnancy state, and as you lose fluid retention that may be associated with pregnancy. I'm not sure why you nose is persistently wide. Your OB may be a good source of information. I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 418 reviews

Pregnancy can enhance bulbous nose appearance

This is a complication that can occur but infrequently, the enlarging of a nose post pregnancy.

I first would like to see any photos of your face pre-pregnancy, then compare more recent photos. I bet you always had some widening and bulbousness initially. The pregnancies just enhanced the appearance.

Your ONLY option is rhinoplasty. So go see 3 boarded Plastic surgeons.


Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Wide bulbous nose from pregnancy

Since it has been a year-and-a-half after your last pregnancy, your nose is probably in a permanent state at this point. The bulbousness and bifidity is unlikely to go away at this point and your nose will not return to its pre-pregnancy shape. A rhinoplasty would be your only solution to improve the aesthetics of your nose.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 141 reviews

Post- Partum Tip Swelling

Your bulbous tip, present 1 1/2 years after your last pregnancy will probably not improve in the future. I suggest you have a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Bulbous overprojected tip

Your bulbous tip may decrease in size slightly over time. However you will probably need a rhinoplasty to reduce the bulbosity  to your liking.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 272 reviews

Wide nose

A wide nose that has not shrunken down after a year and a half probably will not get any smaller now.  If it really bothers you, you may want a tip rhinoplasty. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

After this amount of time it should be back to normal.

 Since it is not, the best option for you is to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your nose and to discuss the options you have to correct this.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.