Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants... at the Same Time?

I Am a 42 Yr. Old Mom of 3 Children Who Has Lost 107 Pounds with Exercise & Clean Eating. As a Result of the Weight Loss, I Have no fat tissue left in my breasts, loose abdominal skin,(but hardcore abs underneath), loose skin on thighs & arms Is it safe for me to undergo a tummy tuck, brachioplasty,thigh lift and breast implants all at the same time? I am 5'1", and weight 120 pounds and in excellent health, no meds or illnesses. Alternatively, I am considering the tummy tuck done first. Since I am a personal trainer, how long can I expect to be out of work after just the tummy tuck?

Combining procedures

Combining all those procedures sounds like a lot. You  may be better off staging some of them to decrease you overall OR time and potential blood loss.

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Combining multiple body contouring procedures

Thank you for your question and congrats on the weight loss. It is definitely too much to combine all procedures in one setting. However, combining two procedures such as tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift are great as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy and/or weight changes. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital. Alternatively, you can combine the arms/tummy together and then stage the breasts/thighs together. A lot of this will depend on your priorities.

I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail, review if there are any medical reasons to stage the procedure. If they deem you are healthy to have have the combined procedure, then you will only have one recovery.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Stages

Generally, you will be better off to have the Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants performed in stages. The tummy tuck and breast implants can be performed first. The arm lift and thigh lift can follow - generally four to six months later. If you have just the tummy tuck, you can resume light activities within a week to 2 weeks with more strenuous activities 4 - 6 weeks after surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Combining multiple surgeries such as tummy tuck, breast implants, thigh lift

Generally it is not the number of procedures, especially if they involve only skin that is the issue in safety. The bigger factor is how long will it take? If it takes under six hours this combination seems safe. If on the other hand it would take eight or nine, I would recommend breaking it up. It depends on the amount of surgery done and the surgeons operating speed. If you do adjust the tummy tuck you would be out of work for 7 to 10 days in my practice. However that means going back as an encouraging personal trainer not a demonstrating personal trainer. That will probably take one month before you can do heavy physical exercise.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Safety of doing Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants at the Same Time

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants... at the Same Time?

I Am a 42 Yr. Old Mom of 3 Children Who Has Lost 107 Pounds with Exercise & Clean Eating. As a Result of the Weight Loss, I Have no fat tissue left in my breasts, loose abdominal skin,(but hardcore abs underneath), loose skin on thighs & arms Is it safe for me to undergo a tummy tuck, brachioplasty,thigh lift and breast implants all at the same time? I am 5'1", and weight 120 pounds and in excellent health, no meds or illnesses. Alternatively, I am considering the tummy tuck done first. Since I am a personal trainer, how long can I expect to be out of work after just the tummy tuck
?"

Physically speaking, a Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift and Breast Implants CAN be done at the the same time. But, just because such a marathon surgery can be done (and is profitable for the surgeon) does not mean you should have it done this way.

Separating large Plastic Surgery projects into smaller surgery parcels, or staging the procedures, is much more comfortable to the patient and is associated with a much faster recovery. It allows the surgeon to do touch up corrections, if needed, on the areas previously operated. But MOST importantly, it greatly reduces the risk of complications, especially infection and blood clot formation (DVT and PE) seen with longer procedures.

I would suggest you think about having the Tummy Tuck and Breast lift/Augmentation as the first procedure and allow it to heal. you can then have the other procedures done in the order that best suites you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Combining plastic surgery procedures

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Combining plastic surgery procedures is great when it's done right as this helps with recovery times, anesthesia exposure, and costs.  However, it's important to be safe.  Doing too many things all at once can increase your operative risks.  As everyone is different, check with your plastic surgeon to see how many of the procedures can be done at the same time safely.  If you don't have a lot of extra skin, then you may be able to do everything.  Yet, you may want to anticipate having to stage your procedures into 2 or even 3 stages.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Multiple Procedures and Plastic Surgery

Congratulations on your weight loss!  That's awesome!  Plastic surgery certainly can address you areas of concern but to perform all these procedures is not advisable!  In patient's who have had massive weight loss a definitive plan needs to be formulated.  Sometimes two procedures that are close in proximity can be performed or it is okay to perform procedures individually.  If you have your tummy tuck done first then expect 4-6 weeks before vigorous activity can be performed.  Good Luck!!

Dr. ES

Body Contouring After Weight Loss - Multiple Procedures Safe?

Congratulations on your weight loss!  You ask a very important question.  There are many procedures that can be done to help contour areas after weight loss to treat the excess skin.  When I evaluate a patient for these procedures, I first review their medical history to assess their overall health status.  If a patient is very healthy, then they can be a candidate for multiple procedures.  Now, the next big question is which procedures.  Well, this depends on your priorities.  I always ask my patients to prioritize their goals - essentially triage the areas that are most important to them. I generally will develop an operative plan that may include multiple procedures but strive to keep the operative plan approx. less than 8 hours.  There is nothing wrong with staging procedures.  Smaller operative times usually expedite recoveries and also help to contain cost.  Remember, you can come back and fight another day.   But it looks like your priority is the tummy area.   For patients who have lost the amount of weight you have experienced - I will generally recommend an extended tummy tuck vs circumferential body lift. Since you are  personal trainer who is on her feet and working with your clients, I would recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for apprx 5 weeks.   Please visit with a ASPS member surgeon to learn more about your options.

Happy Holidays!

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck, arm lift, thigh lift & breast implants after weight loss = 2 surgery sessions

You are certainly to be commended for your dramatic weight loss and the surgical correction of your redundant tissue will be icing on the cake. I would stage the procedures into two sessions. I generally perform the breast and abdomen together and then the arms and thighs 3-6 months later. This allows me to keep the thigh lift incisions close to the incision for the abdominoplasty in the inguinal area. Even though you are in excellent health, performing that much surgery in one sitting creates a greater chance for significant complications as opposed to spreading them across two sessions. It also allows for any minor revisions to be performed during the second procedure (if needed of course). In summation, I think it’s worth the wait to get it right given all that you have accomplished thus far.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon