Chest looks slightly better after gynecomastia surgery, but now it's starting to look like before surgery

Hello , so i had my gynecomastia surgery about 3 weeks ago, My question is that my chest looked pointy and saggy on 1st day post-op the doctor told me i was swollen about 3 days ago the doctor removed the stitches he told me i am still swollen , But my chest now start to look like before surgery they only look flat when i am laying down or i raise my hand other then that it looks pointy and shows through shirt. :( Plz give some advice thank you

Your Healing Process After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Bruising And Swelling after Gynecomastia Surgery

You will still have some swelling in the early post op period. BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal

I agree that you have to be patient and results after this procedure will take some time. I typically recommend wearing male compression vest for at least 6 weeks, and sometimes if that's too hot - at least some tight under armour shirts.  I also think at 3 weeks its important to start massaging the chest.  I think you can typically expect 80 percent of the results at 3 months, and 100 percent at 6 months after surgery. Hang in there. You should visit with you plastic surgeon and express your concerns. Give it time.  All the best,

Chest looks slightly better after Gynecomastia surgery, but now it's starting to look like before surgery

It is still quite early to judge the final results. You have still a significant amount of swelling that will go down and improve the shape of your chest. Please be patient, and see your Plastic Surgeon for any concerns that you may have.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Early

Congratulations on your surgery.  At three weeks, you still likely have significant swelling.  It can take several months or longer for your final appearance to be reached.  I would continue with compression garment and follow the directions given by your surgeon.  Best of luck

3 Weeks After Gynecomastia Surgery

Photos would help to see what you are concerned with. Did you have liposuction alone or liposuction with surgical excision? Hopefully you are wearing a compression vest. It is too soon to know what your final result will be, swelling can last for several weeks. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Male Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question. Photos would be helpful to give you more specific advice. However, it is very common to have post operative swelling for several months after surgery. Diligently wearing a post operative compression garment will help reduce the swelling and give better long term results.

As with any post operative concern, I would recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD