Feeling when removing compression garment. Is this due to having the garment on? Will it continue for a while after I remove it?

I am 10 days post op and am able to remove my compression garment for an hour per day to launder and shower. There is a strange tingly feeling when I take the garment off. It isn't painful but my chest feels akward. Is this due to having the garment on for so long or will this continue for a while after I am able to remove the garment?

Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

It appears that you have some changes with the sensation around the chest, which is not unusual following this procedure. The good news is that this will all resolve. Please use the compression garment as per your surgeon advise. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment and Gynecomastia

I usually recommend my gynecomastia patients wear their garment for 3 to 6 weeks.  This depends on the healing process.  In some cases I have asked my patients to wear the garment until they feel it is not helping any longer, which can take a couple of months.  Follow your surgeon's post operative instructions as he is monitoring your progress.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD