I think I have gynecomastia. Will it get worse? (Photo)

I believe i have gyno. you can clearly see my breasts through shirts, nipples are puff and also visible. i'm 17 years old, 5 ft 5 and weigh 61 kilos. The right nipple is much larger then my left. I am able to feel a hard round shape behind left nipple. can be tender and sore sometimes. Began noticing it about a year ago. how do you stop it from coming back or getting any worse then it is now at this stage? is this gyno or fat tissue? is surgery necessary in order to fix it? thank you

Gynecomastia at Age 17

Gynecomastia is a common occurrence in boys going through puberty.There are different types of #gynecomastia.  Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.

In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.

#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia

Many young adults develop gynecomastia during puberty.  Often enough, it subsides after puberty.  It is too early to tell yet whether this will exist into young adulthood.  If it does, it is easily treatable with surgery.

Tim Neavin, MD

I Think I Have Gynecomastia. Will It Get Worse?

You seem to have some Gynecomastia. At 17, I would still give it time to resolve. If it does not resolve over the next couple of years, surgery is an excellent option. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia - Many definitions and extent

If you are unhappy with your breast size then you may want to consider corrective cosmetic surgery regardless of the cause, especially if you are not planning on loosing weight. Gynecomastia simply means that your breasts are too big and has features of a women's breast. There are varying degrees of gynecomastia ranging from puffy nipple to severe breast enlargement and/or breast sag. The severity of the gynecomastia will determine which treatment option is necessary. In most cases, men suffer from standard gynecomastia, which can be surgically treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. For more severe cases, it may be recommended that you have your procedure under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgery center. Your consultation will determine which option is best suited for treating your gynecomastia.

Puffy Nipples

This is gynecomastia.Usually if it is not gone by a year or two it may stay.
I is best see an experience gynecomastia surgeon.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Adolescent Gynecomastia

60% to 65% of young men develop some form of gynecomastia during puberty. The good news is, for about 95% of young men this will go away by itself usually within a couple of years. If you are in the 5% that it becomes permanent, surgery is an option, and young men do very well as the elasticity in their skin is very good. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia

Seems to be but happily not that severe. give it a year or two and see. If necessary it can be corrected surgically through a tiny incision in the armpit. Good luck and hope it gets better itself. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Based on your photos and clinical history, you do indeed have the symptoms of gynecomastia. If these are new findings, the symptoms may go away on their own within two years. If it has already been more than two years or if the pain of the breast tissue or the embarrassment of the excess tissue is too great, than surgery is the solution. The extent of the surgery will depend on the grade of the the gynecomastia. Your photos demonstrate that you have grade I gynecomastia and would benefit from liposuction coupled with the possibility of a small incision for removal of the painful breast tissue beneath the nipples.

Mark Gaon, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon