Zeltiq CoolSculpting - Pain, Bruising, Risks?

Does Zeltiq hurt? What are the risks? Does it depend on how much suction/temperature doctor uses as to if there is bruising/pain afterwards?

Can Zeltiq cause nerve damage? Cause Other problems? Can the suction pressure be controlled by the dr? Is the Bigger suction more painful than using 2 smaller suctions for the stomach? Pre/post treatment care? How long has it been being used in the states? in Europe? What are the complications?

Pain from CoolSculpting

It is not uncommon to have bruising, swelling and delayed onset pain after a Coolsculpting procedure. This pain is more commonly experienced with abdominal Coolsculpting. It starts 3-5 days after the procedure and can last 10 days or so. This pain is nerve based and is best treated with Neurontin. Ask your physician to prescribe you some.
Sheila Nazarian

Pain from CoolSculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sheila Nazarian

Pain Bruising and Risks associated with CoolSculpting

We have been using CoolSculpting here in the office for about a year and have used about 400 treatment cycles. Given the patient population that we have treated so far we have seen a range of feedback with regard to pain associated with the procedure. Some patients seem to handle the procedures much easier than others. What I have seen is that of the patients who express any concern about pain it is generally more associated with the days after treatment than the day of treatment itself and the sensation that I most often hear patients complain of is a pins and needles kind of sensation or a burning sensation under the skin in the treated area(s). It seems that most complaints come from the treatment of the lower abdomen. I have had the procedure done on myself on my flanks and abdomen and found that the most discomfort that I had personally was in the lower abdomen where my belt rides. The discomfort that I experienced lasted a few weeks post treatment but I have already seen a significant reduction in the fat layer where I was treated and I couldnt be happier with my result.

What to Expect

Coolsculpting is very well tolerated by most of my patients. Most patients experience an intense suctioning feel in the treatment area accompanied by moderate discomfort and a burning/stinging sensation as the applicator begins to get colder. After about the first ten minutes, the discomfort subsides and my patients are able to relax for the remainder of the treatment hour. The suction pressure is controlled by the Coolsculpting technician, but there is minimum suction necessary for each of the different applicators. My patients do seem a bit more uncomfortable with the larger applicator opposed to the two smaller, so I typically use the two smaller in succession. Aftercare is comprised of massaging the area, wearing good compression garments, and being patient! Most patients will experience some nerve discomfort in the remaining weeks including tenderness, numbness, tingling, and possibly some sharp/shooting pains. These are all temporary and typically indicate a successful treatment.

What to Expect

How Long Will Pain/Bruising Last

Bruising is patient specific and normal. It is a consequence of patient selection and is also location specific. We find that some patients bruise more than others and to a varying degree in different locations. Skin Changes--- Most patients experience transient skin changes at the treatment site after the procedure. When the applicator is removed, the tissue appears red and raised, and feels cold and firm. Transient mild bruising may occur around the edges of the site. These changes begin to resolve within a few minutes of the procedure. Mild bruising, and/or minor swelling may arise in the days following the procedure but typically resolve within a week. Occasionally, a patient may have an atypical skin reaction. For example, bruising or swelling may take longer to resolve or the site may become red, warm and tender. These atypical reactions may be due to individual characteristics that make the patient more sensitive to the procedure.

How Long Will Pain/Bruising Last

Zeltiq Coolsculpting risks and side effects

Zeltiq is one of the safest procedures available, especially among fat reduction procedures.  It was FDA-approved for fat reduction in September of 2010 and has been safely used in Europe for approximately 5 years.  The reason why it is so safe is that the cold exposure is not to such an extreme that it immediately kills fat cells;  rather, the cold exposure initiates natural programmed fat cell destruction, which is why it takes 2 months to see the results.  The exposed fat cells naturally degrade and the byproducts excreted by your body.  The only contraindications to undergoing Zeltiq is if you have rare conditions of cold-intolerance. 

The procedure may be slightly uncomfortable during the first few minutes of treatment, but it is more of an odd pulling and cold discomfort than pain and gradually turns into a barely noticeable numbness.  This odd feeling is greatest with the largest treatment head/applicator, and less with the small and medium applicators.  Immediately after the procedure, the treated area may have mild to moderate tingling, numbness, and soreness.  Mild bruising is sometimes seen, but is uncommon.  The soreness may last for 2-3 days and feels like the muscle soreness you get after a round of intense exercise.  The tingling and numbness feels just like the sensation your skin has after intense cold exposure.  It lessens over time and is usually limited to 2-3 weeks.  Zeltiq does not cause long-term nerve damage.

With standard settings, there should be little if any bruising or pain.  Sometimes the vacuum settings are increased in thinner individuals to get proper exposure of the treatment area to the cold applicator.  The higher suction could increase the chance of bruising, though it is still usually minimal and limited.  The temperature is currently not altered in the current model of the Zeltiq device.

When a device like this comes along that claims to be so effective with so few risks, it is usually too good to be true, but with the Zeltiq device, it is both good and true.

CoolSculpting discomfort

We began using CoolSculpting in 2011 and have performed 4000 procedures. The early treatment heads depended upon strong suction to draw the fatty areas into the device. I'm a wimp and I thought it was uncomfortable for about 10 minutes. Over the last six years Zeltiq has improved the treating devices and they use far less suction making them much less uncomfortable. Suction pressure is now controlled by the machine. Treatment times have decreased, being only 35 minutes in some areas. Some sites are more uncomfortable than others (ie male breasts, chin,arms). There is no required post treatment care. Best Wishes, Maurice Vick MD

CoolSculpting discomfort

Pain

It is important to have clear expectations with any procedure you have done and that includes side effects and particularly pain.  For most patients with the initial application of coolsculpting applicator you will feel the sensation of your drawing up into the applicator.  Pain is very subjective but this sensation by most is not considered painful.  Most patients do experience a discomfort after the procedure and swelling.  The swelling  and pain is short lived.  Any procedure done on your body causes an inflammatory response.  It's your body's natural process to begin the healing process.  Swelling that persist or has oozing should be evaluated by your healthcare provider.

Pain

After Affects of CoolSculpting

Depending on which provider you visit for your CoolSculpting needs, can change your after affects. With the new CoolAdvantage the treatment time has been cut in half along with the discomfort of the treatment.  The reduction in suction with the new CoolAdvantage has presented less after affects of bruising, swelling and pain. The suction level with be the same with every CoolAdvantage. CoolSculpting has been FDA approved for many years. Best of luck! 

After Affects of CoolSculpting

We take risks every day, but Coolsculpting is a very safe one.

While we all take risks everyday, i.e. driving a car, riding a bike, etc, Coolsculpting has minimal side effects or risks associated with it.   During the procedure you may experience sensations of pulling, tugging, mild pinching, intense cold, tingling, stinging, aching, and cramping at the treatment site. These sensations subside as the area becomes numb. Following the procedure, typical side effects include temporary redness, swelling, blanching, bruising, firmness, tingling, stinging, tenderness, cramping, aching, itching, or skin sensitivity. Sensation of fullness in the back of the throat after submental area treatment. These effects are temporary and generally resolve within days or weeks. Though rare, some additional side effects may occur.  Suction is regulated by the machine, as it draws in the tissue.  Pre-treatment care includes a cleaning wipe we use to protect your skin, and post treatment care, our practice asks patients to wear compression garments to decrease swelling and pain if needed.  As with any medical procedure, ask your physician if the CoolSculpting procedure is right for you.  Find a certified practice for your optimal results, goodluck in your decisions. 

What to Expect from a Coolsculpting Treatment

What really impressed me as a physician is the incredible safety profile of the Coolsculpting technology by Zeltiq. There is no risk of damage to the nerves, skin, muscle or any of the surrounding tissues. Think about putting water into a fridge- it cools, but doesn't change state. If you put butter in the fridge- it hardens. Its not a perfect metaphor, but it helps to think of butter when we look at how Coolsculpting specifically targets the lipid cells in cryolipolysis.

As for the temperature, there are sensors on the inside of the applicators that freeze the tissue to specific degrees that start the cell death process. Most people feel a cool tingling sensation at first, and then go numb after about 6-7 minutes. There is some mild discomfort during the two-minute manual massage post-treatment, but this does increase the efficacy by about 70%! As for pain, everyone handles the procedure differently, but most go about their normal daily routine immediately afterwards. You may experiences so bloating, swelling, numbness, or tingling, but all of these subside in a few days to weeks. Ibuprofen is generally recommended to manage any discomfort, or a Benadryl to help you sleep.

In 2011 Coolsculpting was approved in 46 countries, and now that number is 70+. This is an incredibly safe, effective procedure provided worldwide.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!