Is it possible for me to have a successful nose job? (Photos)

I don't like the roundness at the tip of my nose and I also don't like the width of it. I read online that noses with "thick" skin aren't good cannidates for nose jobs. Is this true? And what exactly does that mean? It is possible for me to have a successful nose job?

Can I Have a Successful Nose Job

Hi and thanks for your photos and question.  Yes, you can have a successful rhinoplasty.  You do have a bulbous tip and it appears that you have wide nostrils.  Your skin is a bit on the thicker side, but not extremely thick.  A rhinoplasty to reduce the tip bulbosity and narrow the nostrils would make a nice difference.  I would be happy to see you for a consultation with computer imaging to show you what can be achieved. 

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, successful rhinoplasty is possible

You are correct, very thick skin can impact how much refinement we can attain in the tip region. It doesn't look like your skin is very thick, so you should get good results. Most importantly, you need to go to a Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Scott M. Gayner, MD
Harrisburg Facial Plastic Surgeon

RHINOPLASTY THICK SKIN

Thanks for your query.well you do have a  round bulbous tip with thick skin.You do need cephalic trim and tip refinement The  skin quality and thickness determines your final surgical outcome.A the same time it is hard to predict also,Howver do consult a board certified rhinoplastic surgeon and be realistic with your expectation and go  then ahead with your surgery.

Karthik Ram, MRCS, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement

In general, thicker skinned noses tend to show less refinement with rhinoplasty because the thick tissue coverage. Your nose in the photos does not appear to have very thick tissues.

Thick skin nose

It is true that patients who have thick skin do not get a well-defined nose after rhinoplasty.However, a good improvement can't be achieved by reducing the width of the nostrils through alar plasty and reducing the bulbous tip through cartilage reduction, tip plasty.  As long as you are realistic with your expectations you can benefit from her rhinoplasty and have a successful outcome.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a Successful Nose job Possible

While thick skin does limit the amount of definition that can be obtained a rhinoplasty will significantly improve the appearance of the nose in a patient like you. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist so you achieve a natural result. 

Is it possible for me to have a successful nose job?

It is possible to reduce the width of the nasal tip, as long as the width is created more from cartilage than thick skin. A thorough internal and external examination of the nose is required to make that determination.

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a narrower nasal tip appearance.

Based on your photos, you may not have very thick nasal skin. Thick nasal skin is usually associated with darker skin types, rather than freckles. If you have significant dissatisfaction with your nasal appearance, consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what to expect after rhinoplasty surgery. Hope this helps! Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may have thick skin on your nasal tip, but this can still be improved with rhinoplasty.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thick skin rhinoplasty

It is definitely possible to produce improvement in tip contour and definition despite thicker skin.  Thick skin can be a limitation, but it is not a contraindication.  You need to see a rhinoplasty surgeon who understands that with thick skin, the tip needs to be augmented, or expanded in the skin envelope, to produce better highlights of through the skin.  Reducing the cartilage in your case would have the opposite effect, which would make your nose look more round with less definition.  It is always tempting to want to reduce the cartilage structure to improve the tip contour, but in most people with thick skin, the counter-intuitive opposite is more appropriate.  See below for an example.  

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon