Nose too upturned after rhinoplasty. Is there any chance my nose tip will "go down"? (Photo)

Hello,I had my rhinoplasty almost a month ago and my nose tip looks too upturned.My nose tip before was straight,and I liked it very much,I just wanted my bulbous tip to be thinned a little bit,but it looks like too upturned and my smile looks piggy,although I think my surgeon lifted my nose a little bit.My nose tip is numb,hard and swollen,is there any chance it will go down with time and the healing process?How much does a nose tip usually "fall"(in millimetres,if it's known)as the nose heals?

Swelling Will Resolve, Upturned Tip Will Not

The tip of the nose will soften and become less swollen, but the upturned appearance will unfortunately not change much. An upturned nose can look overly stylized, and if it does not drop —which is the most probable outcome — a revision will be necessary. You will need to wait about a year for revision surgery

Rhinoplasty Recovery

The amount of tip refinement and definition will increase as the swelling resolves.  The tip rotation (how upturned it is) will also improve - as the swelling decreases the tip will drop a bit.  By about 3-6 months post-op enough swelling will have resolved for you to have a good idea of whether you will be happy or not.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Upturn nose

The nose definitely will settle down as the swelling in the tip subsides.  During this time you might require steroid injections to reduce the swelling a little faster.  In about 3 months you will have a good idea if the upturn is permanent or was related to swelling only.  At that time you can decide if you need any revision surgery or not.
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi,It's still too soon to make a determination as to the final position of the tip. How much your tip will drop will depend upon what technique(s) your surgeon used.  At this time, good communication with your surgeon and patience is advised.  Best wishes.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Nose turned up

it is true that you have a lot of swelling in your nose, particularly the tip and as the swelling receded over the next 9-12 months, your nose may look better and not as turned up. The hardness in the tip area will definitely get better with time as the swelling goes down. However, when comparing your nose as it looks now to the one before surgery, there is no question that your nose has been turned up and the bridge of your nose has been lowered.  Time will improve the appearance and it will look less turned up and you should wait at least another 4 months before a definite conclusion can be made.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are only a month out and your nose will go through many changes over the next year.  Be patient with the results.

Upturned Nose 1 Month after Rhinoplasty

Hi,Its relatively early post-op from your first rhinoplasty. Your tip will certainly drop or decrease in swelling over the next 6 months. I would wait a little longer, then reassess in 4 to 6 months.Best,Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS