I'm 34A. I want to have big boobs like a D cup. How many cc's do I need to achieve that volume? I'm thinking about 450cc (Photo)

Two Surgeries

I would strongly recommend two surgeries to get you there. You are very very petite and you would benefit from either: high profile implants now, and an exchange for larger implants after 3-6 months, OR ultrahigh profile implants now.
Going too big for your frame can have problems. Stretch marks, capsular contracture, implant malposition are all common when trying to hit a home run. I'm conservative, but I also like to deliver results that are complication free.

Implant size to go from A to D cup

Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

You will not get that wish pic in 1 operation

Here's the biggest problem -- you have very small breasts and have always had very small breasts.  The nipple is positioned very high on a small breast -- it's a lot lower on a larger breast.  But if you put a big implant in someone like you, you'll have nipples that are too high on your breast leading to "nip slip" and nipples that are looking at the sky all the time.  You need to be conservative with a first implant -- let your body adjust to it and then maybe go bigger in the future.  Even with a 450cc implant, you won't look anything like to wish-pic you posted.  See an ASAPS member surgeon in your area and get a couple of opinions.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Breast Implants

Dear Isabel,

You might not look exactly like your "wish-boob" photos, and might not be quite this big, but I believe you are on the right track.  Here are a few tips for you because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Also see the video attached to my answer. We spend up to two hours for our BA consults to be sure there is careful communication. We do a full exam in front of a full-length mirror taking six exact measurements.We put your photos on a large computer screen for imaging, and go over your “ideal-size” photos. We then save this information to your password protected “web account.”
First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover. Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print". Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.Higher is really a marketing term, but often translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.Saline implants actually tend to decrease in diameter as they are inflated!The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.(We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.
You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.
Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover.Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.
We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype.
Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.Does the PS offer all three incisions?Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach."Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.
All the best, “Dr. Joe”

I'm 34A. I want to have big boobs like a D cup. How many cc's do I need to achieve that volume? I'm thinking about 450cc

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 34 D and a 38 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size Options

Thank you for your question and photos. It is good to have wish photos to show your Plastic Surgeon the look that you are after. I recommend that you focus more on achieving that look that the specific CC's because it may take a different volume to achieve something like that on your frame. Your Plastic Surgeon will measure your breast and discuss your aesthetic goals with you, Then recommend a small range of implant sizes to choose from. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get a feel for how they will look.

Be sure to choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

BA sizes

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well.

The thing about size is...
Did You Know? Implant size (measured by cubic centimeters, or “cc”) only matters as far as it will help you get the look you want. In these photos, can you guess who has the larger sized implants?

What limits how big you should go?

1. Your current breast size. This matters because you’ve got to have enough existing breast tissue to cover the implant. If you haven’t got a lot to spare, some implants may just be too big to fit.
2. Your chest and shoulder width. Fortunately, implants come in different base widths so you can get a size that works well with your frame.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

A cup to DD cup?

Your desires are NOT possible in only one operation. Because you skin stretch takes time and expansion. Start with 400 or 450 cc if fits. Than after 6 months exchange to 600 cc.

What size implants

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system,in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it cannot only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be. In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant among other things also play a role in trying to best decide which implant will look best. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast size or using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS