If I got my deviated septum fixed, would it draw attention to my eyes being uneven? (Photo)

My nose lays to the left (as does my septum) and I have been planning to get that fixed for as long as I can remember. However, recently I noticed one eye is higher than the other. If I were to fix my nose, would attention be drawn to my uneven eyes? Or would the difference be negligible?

Septoplasty for breathing, rhinoplasty to straight and narrow the nose

A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve airflow dynamics when there's twisted bone and cartilage blocking airflow. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity, and will not change the shape of the nose. A  Rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing and straightening the external portion of the nose to make it more straight and symmetrical. Both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty procedure can be performed at the same time, however expect to pay for the cosmetic rhinoplasty yourself.  For more information and many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below 

Facial asymmetry

Everyone have asymmetries to their facial features. I think if you had your nose straightened, this would help to harmonize better with your facial features. I don't think your eyes would become a new issue that is more noticeable. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photograph.

Surgery on your deviated septum will not change your outer appearance and will neither change nor make any other asymmetries more noticeable. If you are planning to undergo surgery and are bothered by your nasal asymmetry, you will need a rhinoplasty as well as a septoplasty to correct this. When done by an experienced surgeon, this will improve your overall facial proportions and will give your face a more refined appearance. Your eye asymmetry will not be affected.

Best of Luck!

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty will only address the mid wall partition inside and not the sidewalls of the nose. Thus it usually will have none to minor effects externally. If there is a significant deviation externally, it will best be addressed by a septorhinoplsty. 

Jacob Sedgh, MD

Will Nasal Surgery Accentuate other Facial Asymmetries?

Some facial asymmetry is normal and always present. I encourage you to consider straightening and narrowing your entire nose and improving tip definition rather than just having a septoplasty. The asymmetry of your eyes will not be more noticeable.

Does a deviated septum surgery change my appearance?

A septoplasty will not change your outward appearance.  All of the work is done from the inside.  If you combined the surgery with rhinoplasty to straighten your nose, it will change your appearance slightly.  It has nothing to do with uneven eyes, and shouldn't draw any attention to that.  Be well!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Orbit asymmetry

Thanks for the photo and question. Every person has a certain degree of asymmetry in their face including the eyes, nose, cheeks, jaw, etc. This asymmetry is normal and is not easily noticed by other people which is why you only noticed your eye asymmetry recently. If you nose bothers you, then a rhinoplasty will improve the nose (it may never be 100% straight due to inherent face asymmetry) but I don't think it would bring out the other facial asymmetry. Having said that, this is all very subjective and it depends on the observer. So think about it and seeks a consultation if you are considering a rhinoplasty. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon