Can the surgeon shave the nasal bone at the root (brow ridge-nose part) to create a low-bridged nose? (photos)

I see many before & after photos of nose surgeries where the hump is reduced but the nose remains high-bridged (first photo). I have a straight, high-bridged nose and really like the type of noses that their starting point stands below the supraorbital ridge (second photo). Is the shaving of the nasal bone at its starting point possible so that a low-bridged nose can be achieved? Or does it have to do with the anatomy of each face? Thank you.

this can easily be done, but I would not go as low as your second picture. You have a really beautiful face, and the look you are looking for is not natural, that can only be achieve with surgery so every will immediately know you had a surgery. I would go a little lower than the After in your first picture but not as low as the second. 

Rhinoplasty Technique to Reduce High Dorsal Hump

Dear elena96, In patients requesting a dorsal hump reduction who have a high dorsal hump then a technique is used that reduces the dorsal hump as well as the high glabella and radix. Seek some consultations with some experts in rhinoplasty surgery and have imaging performed which will show you the possibilities that rhinoplasty surgery can provide you taking into consideration your nasal anatomy and skin thickness. See the video above for an example and the link below Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty for high glabella and dorsal hump reduction

The dorsal hump  is composed of both bone and cartilage and sometimes is located high in the glabella. A dorsal hump reduction can accomplish decreasing the dorsal hump, and reducing the high glabella and radix. All this can be performed with a closed rhinoplasty approach with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. For more information and many examples, please see the link and  the video below

Radix Reduction

The radix (the area above the location of the hump) can be reduced and is often done with very high nasal humps like yours. This rhinoplasty maneuver can be particularly useful in females.

Radix reduction

While it is possible to reduce the size of the upper portion of the nasal dorsum (radix), there are certain limitations as to the extent of this reduction. Radix is mainly made of the frontal bone, not nasal bones, which is much thicker and not easily reducible. Sometimes, power instrumentation, like a drill, is used for this purpose. Secondly, if overzealous reduction is performed, one can violate the frontal sinus area, which is definitely not desirable. So, while it is definitely possible to reduce the radix height, the reduction may be limited at times. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Radix height

Hello and thank you for your question. The bone height of the radix can be changed to a certain degree with surgery but there are limitations that depend on your individual anatomy.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Radix reduction

The short answer to your question is, yes, this area can be taken down.  The area is referred to the radix, and is the root of the nose.  There are many variations in this region as you have referred to.  This can be taken down with both endonasal and open approaches.  Standardized photographs and a thorough consultation would be needed to say if it is appropriate in your case.  Additionally, this is an area that can be manipulated on imaging preoperatively to make sure you and the surgeon are on the same page. 

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon