Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers?

It seems like my veneers have gotten slightly darker. Is there any way to go about whitening them? Please help! Thank you!

Can I whiten my veneers?

If your veneers have actually gotten darker, than I assume that you had composite (plastic) veneers and not porcelain veneers.  Today, porcelain veneers are extremely dense and smooth, making them very color stable.  Rarely have I seen porcelain veneers that have darkened over time.

Sometimes there is a light stain on the surface, and the dentist or dental hygienist can polish that out.  Sometimes the tooth looks darker because the underlying tooth has become darker.  Teeth, contrary to porcelain veneers or crowns, can darken over the years.  In those cases, one might try to bleach the tooth with tray bleaching, putting the bleaching gel on the back side of the tooth so that it can permeate through the tooth from the back side and whiten the part of the tooth that was veneered.

However, using bleach on the actual veneer, whether composite plastic or porcelain will rarely lighten the tooth's color to any degree.

You might consider replacing your old veneers with one of the newer, stronger and more attractive porcelain materials like EMax porcelain.  These veneers are strong, long lasting and very color stable!

Laguna Niguel Dentist

Veneers

Porcelain veneers are not porous and fairly color stable meaning they do not absorb stains readily. They can however accumulate very light superficial staining at a much slower rate than your natural teeth. This can be oxidized with whitening gel at your dentists off. The actual color of the original porcelain will not change. If you feel they are too dark you can consider having them replaced with a lighter shade. Also your dentist will check to make sure there is no leakage at the margin of the veneers causing them to discolor underneath. Best of luck and follow us for more information!

Victoria Veytsman, DDS
New York Dentist

Whiten veneers

Veneers can't absorb stain, which is good. However, they can't absorb bleach either. if you feel like they're getting darker there may be some leakage or something else going on so maybe just have them checked by your dentist. You may try bleaching the back part of the tooth and see if you have any success with that. 

Anjali Rajpal, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

Whitening Veneers

You cannot whiten the veneers as the porcelain will not change color. If you want them whiter you would need to have them replaced.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Dentist

Whitening Veneers Is Not Possible

Porcelain veneers will not change color and can't be bleached.  If you feel that they have turned darker you either have leakage underneath the veneers or the natural tooth is turning dark under the veneers.  Either of these caused can only be corrected by replacing the veneers.  Good luck.

Porcelain veneers dont change colour!

Unless your veneers are not porcelain, a good professional cleaning and maybe re-polish and seal will return your veneers brand new!

If your veneers are resin and not porcelain, they tend to be more porous and hence might pick up stain overtime. Try the professional cleaning and polish first.. If you dont get the result you like you might need to have them replaced

Hisham Kaloti, DDS
Mississauga Dentist

Porcelain Veneers: Can I whiten my veneers once they are in place

Porcelain veneers cannot be whitened once they are in place.  However, sometimes bleaching procedures can help with any stains that may have accrued between the teeth.  We often have patients who present for a consult with existing veneers they feel have darkened through the years.  This can happen if certain types of resins (cements) are used when placing the veneers.  So in essence most of the time, the porcelain veneers themselves will not change shades but the cement could cause this to darken.  Another factor to consider is if you bleached your teeth prior to doing veneers, the underlying color of the tooth could have changed.  I hope this helps.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Dentist

Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers? - No, and that's usually a good thing.

I have been receiving this question ever more frequently, and the answer is no. Porcelain Veneers are extremely popular for exactly this reason; they are virtually impervious to any sort of staining or color discoloration. Whoever said coffee is bad for your teeth, obviously didn't have Porcelain Veneers.

In placing over 10,000 veneers, rarely have I encountered patients with damaged tooth structure behind the veneer, leading to color changes, but it does happen.

The more likely cause is the whitening of adjacent natural teeth, giving the appearance that the Porcelain Veneers are less white, although truly no change in color has actually occurred.

In my opinion, seek the advice of a dentist in order to evaluate all possibilities. Preferrably one that has extensive experience fabricating and placing veneers.

James Asaf DDS

James Asaf, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Can You Whiten Veneers?

It is not easy to lighten veneers however it depends on why your veneers are yellow.

If your teeth have darkened because the color of the cement has discolored you won't be able to whiten.  

If your veneers started out dark you can not whiten them either.

if your veneers were white and your teeth are darkening, you can try whitening-talk to your dentist!  Good luck!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Dentist

Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers?

So definitely with the fact that we’ve been doing porcelain veneers for quite a while and we’ve seen the trends change from colors that were much more natural to Hollywood white…now these days we get a lot of patients that will ask if can whiten their veneers, their porcelain veneers. The unfortunate reality is, is that the porcelain cannot be changed in the color.It’s kinda like having a uh china dish. It is what it is and it cannot be changed with bleaching or anything like that. It would have to be replaced if the color needed to be changed.

Amanda Canto, DDS
Houston Dentist