I'm 68 yrs old & had a face lift 10 years ago. My face has drooped since then and I'd like to know what my options are? (photo)

I had what was called the quick lift and was very pleased. But as you can see I could use something done. Please give me a few options

Revision face lift

You had some kind of face lift 10 years ago. You state it was called a quick lift. There is no academic equivalent for this procedure so it sounds more like a marketing tool. Because you are 10 years older since your last procedure, you have obviously continued to age and as a woman you have lost volume in your face and you have gravitational falling of facial soft tissues. In order to produce a natural looking facial rejuvenation,you need fillers to restore volume and possible surgical elevation of the fallen facial tissues.Don't over do it Be conservative.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can look great

It's great that you were pleased with your Quicklift(R) result.  While Lifestyle Lift had its own brick and mortar facilities, I believe that Quicklift is done by individual doctors in their own offices.

Most any facelift needs to be redone at ten years.  But looking at your neck, I'd bet that even after your quick lift your neck didn't look nearly as good as possible, because that is somewhat of a "mini" lift procedure which doesn't focus on the neck.

There are no shortcuts for you to have a great result.  You need to have a facelift done elegantly and beautifully.  Save your money: don't waste it on shots and lasers that will give temporary results, no benefit, or risk scarring or other problems. Your current anatomy is that which is best helped by a facelift.

Revision facelifts have some different issues involved, such as not shifting the sideburn hair up too high.  I can't see if it was already raised at your initial procedure, but that is something to wary of.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

A Complete Facelift Yields A More Integrated And Long Lasting Rejuvenation Than A "Quicklift"

Examination of your more recent photograph reveals many of the classic stigmata of facial aging: although your bangs hide it, you have brow ptosis, as well as some redundancy of skin of the upper eyelids. Your lower eyelids also show signs of aging, as well as a marked tear trough deformity.  Descent of the soft tissues of your face have deepened your nasolabial folds and marionette lines, as well as created marked jowling.  And, of course, your neck shows all the classic signs of aging as well.  

On the basis of what is revealed by your photograph, I would recommend you undergo panfacial rejuvenation, which would include an endoscopic browlift, upper and lower blepharoplasties with a lateral canthopexy of the lower lid, an extended SMAS face and necklift with a corset platysmaplasty, and fat transfer to the face.  This combination of procedures should leave you looking refreshed, reinvigorated and younger.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photos.  After ten years, it is not surprising that you need another face lift as you have aged.  Please be sure to see a surgeon that is board certified in plastic surgery and is an expert in the facelift procedure.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Your previous surgery was likely a short scar facelift, but now you will need a facelift that is more extensive

You are clearly experiencing facial aging which may not be addressed with the same procedure you had 10 years ago. The quick lift that you had is a short scar facelift. It has a limited opening and it takes advantage of certain physical aspects of the face and the soft tissues called the SMAS or superficial musculoaponeurotic system that sags as we get older. In the neck area, the skin tends to hang more as we age.

The procedure that I would probably recommend is some type of face and neck lift. This will elevate the face and the neck more than a limited short scar facelift can do. The incision involves going from the temple area and down to the opening of the ear and behind the ear and then back to the hairline. This will move the sagging skin and tissues, but you do need a physical examination first. Whether it’s a deep plane facelift, a SMAS flap, a high SMAS or any other variation, experienced cosmetic surgeons know that we have to customize the procedure to the patient. The older one gets, the more skin there is. Doctors have to tailor procedures according to the patient’s problem.

In our practice, we do all these procedures under local anesthesia with LITE™ sedation. One of its big advantages, like the original appeal of the short scar facelifts, was that there was no general anesthesia. I have been doing full regular facelifts without general anesthesia for close to 20 years. A quick lift type of procedure or anything in the same class is usually a 1-1.5 hour procedure. A full face and neck lift is about 2.5-3 hour range. Like any good facelift, it can last up to 5 to 10 years. Longevity of a facelift depends a lot on the individual’s unique skin texture and quality, as well as tissue quality. Everyone gets lifted ,and looks toned and natural. Unfortunately, there is also a certain amount of elasticity and regression. It is important to define the things that matter most to you when you communicate to your doctor when making this decision.

I suggest that you meet with several doctors who perform more extensive lifts and not people who are limited to short scar lifts. A surgeon who can do a more extensive procedure may decide to do a quick lift because it’s the right choice for that patient. However, if someone doesn’t have that range, then they’ll try to do the same procedure on everybody. This is one of the problems a very well-known chain encountered when they tried to do seven of these surgeries a day which was absolutely overwhelming for any doctor to try to accomplish. This company had to go under and deal with several allegations.

I recommend that you find a doctor you trust who is committed to quality and who would be there for you beyond the procedure. My personal bias is I prefer local anesthesia with LITE™ sedation. It’s so much safer and it allows for a quicker recovery. It also allows for a more extensive procedure and is less likely to have complications. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

You need revision facelift, forehead lift and volume replacement.

You need a revision facelift to improve the neck and jowls, combined or followed by a forehead lift to raise a little the brows. Forehead or brow lifts are not done by many plastic surgeons. I think, however, that they are often crucial for a natural result and a rejuvenated look.

Later, fat injections or fillers can be used to give more volume to the cheeks, temples and angles of mandible.

Nabil Fanous, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lift and laser resurfacing

I think a more comprehensive lift then what you had done before is certainly a good start. Specifically that means making sure that the lift you do now includes a playtsmaplasty (neck muscle tightening) and a sub SMAS lift (tightening the deeper layer in the face not just the skin). Starting two years ago I added doing laser resurfacing to the neck for all of my lifts in patients who are candidates for laser resurfacing. The results of the lift have been much better now that I include the laser resurfacing at the same time because it prevents some of the loosening up that naturally occurs to some degree after any lifting procedure.  I hope that helps. 

Ravi Dahiya, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary facelift and.

Most patients only have one facelift in a lifetime. In your particular case it looks as though things have emerge that would benefit with a secondary facelift.

Second face lift after 10 years?

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.

I think you would have a lovely result with a standard face and neck lift.
I think a second quick lift result at this point would be disappointing.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Time for a real Face lift

I'm glad you were happy with your quick lift, but i think is time to have a real face and neck lift, with SMAS treatment. 

I, like a few other colleagues offer online consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss what will be the proper treatment to achieve the result you desires.

Dr. Luis Redondo

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD