Recovering after Rhinoplasty, do you need someone with you?

I live with my boyfriend and he will be driving me to and from my rhinoplasty surgery. He has to take a trip the next night for a few days so I will be home alone. I am going to have friends check in with me but is this something that people can manage alone? Will I be able to walk around and make food, ect? Or should I find someone to stay with me for the first few days?

Recovering after rhinoplasty

The first 24 to 48 hours after surgery can be the most uncomfortable time; not to mention the fact that the effects of general anesthesia may alter your judgment. Any surgical center will have a policy that you must return home with an adult and that you have someone with you for the first 24 hours. The next 24 hours you could manage alone but it would be helpful to have someone keep you on schedule for icing and taking your medications.

Immediate Postoperative Rhinoplasty Recovery

Because of the anesthesia, it is best to have someone spend the night with you the first night after general anesthesia.  Typically patients are able to get up and walk around their home.  However, at times you may feel unsteady because of the anesthesia; everyone's reaction is very different.  I would err on the side of caution and have someone at your home the first 24 hours or so. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Immediate postoperative recovery

Nasal surgery isn't necessarily painful, but more uncomfortable.  It's similar to the feeling when you're sick, you have a sinus headache, and you're nose is "stuffed up."  The reason we recommend that someone recover with you for the 1st 24 hours is because you still may be dizzy, tired, nauseated, or simply too weak to do simple things like make food, take your medicine correctly, walk to the bathroom, or simply have someone there to alleviate anxiety.  My advice?  Have a friend keep you company for the first 24-48 hours, and you won't regret it.

Post Operative Care after Rhinoplasty

Dear Nivinejay, My personal policy is that the patient have someone stay with them for the first 24 hours after surgery. Most rhinoplasty patients are fine during this time however you can have some lingering effects from the anesthesia which may require help up and down stairs, preparing food, organizing post operative medications, etc. If you plan well ahead of time and have all of the items you need for the following day by your bedside and have some meals prepared and friends stopping by to assist you then you should be fine the next day for your boyfriend to leave town. I do require my patients to come into my office the day after surgery and then two days after that for follow up appointments so you would need transportation lined up if you are taking any pain medications. Keep in mind every patient varies with their recovery. Good luck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty recovery with a caretaker

It is mandatory to have a responsible adult with the patient after a rhinoplasty procedure, since the procedure usually performed under general anesthesia and patients will have a hangover from  it. After the first 24 hours, its nice to have an additional person with you, but not necessary.

Having someone stay with you for 24-48 hours after Rhinoplasty

Immediately after any surgery, you won't be able to take care of yourself safely. Even after minor procedures, the anesthesia may make you groggy. You'll need help with your medications, foods, and even getting to the bathroom. For safety, I require all of my patients to have a designated ride home (no taxis or Ubers). They also need someone to help them for the first 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. The likelihood that you would have a serious problem after rhinoplasty is low; however, it's not worth the risk. I also personally see all of my patients the day after surgery. Lastly, it's nice to be pampered. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon