5+ Weeks Since Male Breast Liposuction, Still Very Painful, When Will It Stop Hurting?

I had liposuction to my breast area and underarms on May 25, 2012. It is still very painful. It only seems to be marginally better, but not day by day, rather week by week. Will the pain resolve and when?

Pain and Recovery 5 Weeks After Gynecomastia Surgery

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

PAIN FOR UP TO TEN WEEKS AFTER LIPO NOT UNCOMMON BUT SEEK RELIEF AND CONSULT WITH YOUR SURGEON

Liposuction can be very painful.  As I say, lipo sucks. 

Pain even 5 weeks out is not abnormal and is more common in very fibrous, dense male breast tissue.  I would suggest pain medication, anti-inflammatories, and compression.  The pain will go down but it may take another 4 to 5 weeks.  If the pain continues, however, I would follow up with your local plastic surgeon.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Hello

In our practice we like to tell our patient that it varies depending on each patient, everyone’s pain tolerance is complexly different. Usually a few weeks and you feel better. If you having pain 5 weeks post-surgery make sure you see your surgeon to address this concern.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)