Scars Around Nipple After Gynecomastia. Options For Scar Removal? (photo)

Hello Doctor, i had done Gynecomastia operation 7 months before.After post operation i have found scars around my nipple. Will u tell me how would remove those scrars or is there any treatment ?

Managing Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices.

Scar Revision After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi rajesh,

Thanks for the post and the photos. The scars unfortunately cannot be removed, but they can be revised. I would recommend waiting until you are at least one year post surgery before you have the scar revision. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

There is no such thing as scarless surgery, but your breast scars may be improved with a scar revision surgery.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Scar Revision after Gynecomastia Surgery

Thank you for your question and pictures.

There is no "scar removal" procedure but scar "revision" is an option.  There are potential risks/ complications associated with any type of procedure so please make sure your surgeon goes over all of the potential risks/complications with you so that you can make an informed decision.

Sometimes scar revision improves the scar, sometimes the scar does not improve and sometimes the scar actually may become worse.  I usually ask my patients to wait for at least 1 year post op to allow the scar to fully mature prior to scar revision surgery.

Scar revision after gynecomastia surgery

Only a scar revision will have the potential to narrow widened scars.  Then ongoing scar management and very close follow-up is important to address any recurrent problems.  There is always the risk that the scar revision wont help, and a small risk that it actually creates a worse scar.

Gynecomastia, Scars

It looks like your scars have become somewhat hypertrophic. This means that although the scars have healed and are closed now, they have outgrown their normal borders, and are now unsightly. There are several options. The first is to do nothing. It may sound funny to say it is an option, but you must remember that this option entails no further procedures and little postoperative care other than what you've already received. Another options is to inject steroids into the scars. This is typical treatment for keloid scars, and can soften them and reduce their prominence. Options such as dermabrasion I personally do not recommend, as the surrounding tissues (the areola and nipple that are of different pigment and texture) can be differentially affected, and actually make the cosmetic appearance worse. Scar revision, the final option, involves excising the present scars and replacing them with new ones, in the same position and configuration. Note that with every single option there are pros and cons, which you must discuss with a Board-certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Scar issue after gynecomastia

A scar revision may help, may  make it worse, and may not make it better. It is difficult to predict. 

Scars Around Nipple After Gynecomastia. Options For Scar Removal?

I agree a scar revision circumareolar would offer some type of improvement to the post operative scar you have.