Is It Normal to Have Pain, Swollen Lymph Nodes Under Left Arm After 8 Days Post-OP of Gynecomastia?

Sir, i am 23 and i had my gynecomastia treatment 8 days back using both SAL and gland excision. My chest has become flat and there is no swelling or bruishing near the nipple, where the doctor made the incision.But i am upset because there is a small painful lump like thing under my left arm ( i googled to find it as "swollen lymph nodes" ).I am worried about it and planning to visit the doctor soon, but i posted here to seek advice from you experts, is it normal? there was no lump before OP.

Healing & Recovery Post Op

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Pain, Swollen Lymph Nodes Under Left Arm After 8 Days Post-OP of Gynecomasti

It is possible to have lymph node activity post surgery. Consult your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you to ensure you are healing properly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lymph node swelling after gynecomastia surgery

It's very common to get some lymph node reactivity in the axillary nodes after gynecomastia surgery.  This occurs normally, though it can be a sign of infection or other issues in the breast area.  You should follow up with your surgeon anyway, and when you do, he or she can be sure that there are no other issues that might be causing the reactive lymph nodes.  

Rick Silverman

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Hello

You need to see your primary or a specialist to determine what that can be. You need to get check out ASAP.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)