Desoximetasone Cream or Fluocinonide Oil for Hair Loss?

I'm an African American female. I have had hair loss along my edges (especially on one side) - it has been over a year and a half of no hair. I have seen 2 dermatologist (one said it could be stress & alopecia). I was given desoximetasone 0.25% cream by one derm & fluocinonide solution 0.05% by the other derm. Which one is better? I noticed the desoximetasone consists of mineral oil, petrolatum & lanolin alcohol which isn't good for hair. I haven't had a chemical relaxer in almost 18 months

Hair loss in an african american female

I'd need to see photos and ideally look up close to know what's going on. Stress causes hair loss all over rather than in a certain specific area like the sides. So this is not the primary cause of the hair loss. 

If it's alopecia areata, steroid injections are more effective than steroid lotions and creams. But desoximetasone and fluocinonide are both good starting options and can limit side effects. However, stronger topical steroids may be needed for alopecia areata. You'll want to speak to your dermatologist about side effects of stronger steroids, including skin thinning and pigmentation changes.  Petrolatum, lanolin and mineral oil are safe for most people, but yes rarely sensitivities are possible (especially lanolin).

Avoiding relaxing will be helpful to ensure the newly growing hairs (if they grow) have the best chance of sporting back up. 

Hair improvements in alopecia areata should be obvious by 4-5 months. If not, one needs to revisit their dermatologist and determine if the diagnosis is correct or if other treatments are needed. Alopecia areata can certainly be challenging to treat, and it may be that other treatments are needed like steroid injections, anthralin, DPCP, or oral immunosuppressives. If the diagnosis is at all in question, a biopsy can be helpful.

Topical steroids and hair loss

First one needs to get the right diagnosis, then a decision can be made regarding treatment.  Both medications have been used to treat localized hair loss.  You need to be seen and evaluated by a dermatologist.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Hair Regrowth That Works

This is difficult to answer without an evaluation. In our office, we've used injections of progesterone and PRP to great success. I recommend a consultation with a hair loss expert for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

Hiar loss

You have already seen a doctor who gave you advice with medication recommendation, so follow your doctors advice and ask these questions to your doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon