Is it normal to use a 2mm needle for a first microneedling session?

I have minimal acne scars, but I do have some large pores. My doctor used a 2mm needle for my cheeks and now they are fiercely red, with no sign of turning waning pink. Is this a normal experience? I thought downtime was minimal? It looks like I might be out for a week!

Needs more time

2 mm is an aggressive treatment.  However, it can save repeat visits due to the dermal collagen that will develop.
Sorry to hear you are still red. Without photos it is best to check with your doctor for some options to reduce the redness based on the exam.

Microneedling question

Thanks for your question. 2mm is the max depth, but we do use it for scarring. The redness usually goes away quickly and covers with a post procedure makeup like Oxygenetix. Your provider may have some tropicals on hand to reduce your redness, I would give them a call. Be sure you are not putting anything on your skin post procedure that they have not recommended.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Each person does microneedling in a different way. I combine with lasers to get much more improvement than with microneedling alone. I suggest you see an expert for treatment of this condition.  2mm in not an uncommon depth.  Best, Dr. Emer.