Is it possible to have one arm done at a time for arm lift surgery?

I would like to have arm lift surgery on both arms, but I would like to do one arm at a time. Is there any reason a plastic surgeon would object to this? if yes, why?

Arm lift

It is possible to have an arm lift on one arm at a time, but it is an uncommon request.  You will need to go under anesthesia twice, have two recoveries, and likely have arms that look asymmetrical between the two procedures.  Is there a specific reason you want them separated?  I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can give you more information on the procedure and help explore your options with you.  Best of luck.

Brachioplasty

Thanks for your brachioplasty question. It is very uncommon to do one arm at a time, and you will also have to go under anesthesia and recovery two separate times and as a result the costs to you will be greater. However, in our office we often combine the arm lift procedure with other body contouring procedures and if you are considering staging out several procedures, then it may make sense for you. Either way be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and one who is a member of the ASPS. Best of luck to you. -Dr. Coan.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift procedure timing

Doing one arm at a time isn't a common request since the procedure is pretty well tolerated when it's done with minimal recovery.  Also, you'd have to go through the anesthesia and recovery twice if you divide up the arm lift.  I commonly combine arm lifts with other body contouring procedures to actually save recovery time and expenses for my patients due to the fact that combining procedures leads to great discounts for professional, anesthesia, and facility fees.

Thanks for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Arm lift in two stages

One side at the time is not frequently done without particular reason like lymphedema (swelling of one upper extremity or part of it as a result of breast cancer surgery), for example. However, it can be done. It will create temporary asymmetry which you may need to hide until opposite arm surgery is completed. It is hard to justify your decision to have this surgery done in two stages but you should discuss this with an experienced plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Staged Surgey

Thank you for your question.  Although this is an unusual request, ther is no reason it cannot be staged.  You will incur higher costs by doing it in stages.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

if you have problem with one side we can do one at a time

if both side than there is no way we should do it that way

Harsh B. Amin, MS, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon