Face fat grafting/injections?

I've been wanting to get fat injections to make my face look fuller. One doctor quoted me $3,000, but he'd do it in 3 different sessions. He would freeze my fat on the first session so he would use that fat for the next 2 sessions. He said I'd have to go back every 6 weeks to get the remaining sessions done. The other doctor also said it'd be $3,000, but it would all be done in one session. I'm confused. Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these 2. Thanks in advance!

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent?

I inject fat in one treatment anticipating fillers or more fat later as maintenance.  When I first learned we did multiple sessions.  either way the results can be good, it all depends on the techniques used to harvest, adding of PRP, purgraft,  and other newer techniques to produce the most pure fat that will have better longevity long term.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Freezing fat for future injections

I have heard of doctors freezing the fat for later use. This really is like using temporary fillers since the freezing process damages the fat cells. What you want if fat is being used is to have it stay for a very long/permanent amount of time - otherwise why go to the trouble of fat grafting at all. Unfortunately fat grafting in any area, even the face may be complicated by significant loss(death) of the transplanted fat cell during the process of harvesting and transferring them. Therefore surgeons will rightfully tell patients that they may desire touchups at a later time. If the procedure is performed well the need for future injections goes down significantly but still there are patients that want to add more fat at a later date. An important thing to do is to make sure that you ask each surgeon what the success rate is in their hands and why they choose the technique they use. Ultimately you will be rewarded with a more successful result.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Fat transfer

I inject fat in one session and tell patients that they may need a future session or more because not all the fat will take. Freezing fat does not work.

Fat Transfer

Fat can not be frozen, stored for later use. Infact it can approach to be illegal unless done in an experimental approved institute.
You need to have a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon see you in person and after examination and discussion of the procedure and the potential risks, then you can go ahead with the surgery. Type of anesthesia?

Fat grafting

Fat does not survive a freezing process so I would recommend the second option since you may be injecting fat cells that will not provide a longterm result.  Nonetheless, see if you can have 2 fat grafting sessions with the fat being harvested and injected at the same time, with the sessions spaced about 6-8 months apart.  This would improve your chances of a long term result.  

Fat grafting to face

Unless the first surgeon has a registered tissue bank, it is against the law in most states to freeze patients' fat and use it later! Check with your local medical society. The second surgeon's approach is appropriate and the way to go. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Fat grfat to the face

Without photos it's hard to say but usually I do all of my fat grafting in one session. I let that settle and then if the patient wants a second session in 2 or 3 months or more they then come back.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon